Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need help wiping and reinstalling hard-drive

• Please log in to reply

slimrhino

slimrhino

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have been having some serious problems with my pc and was told that I need to wipe the hard drive and start over. I have all my disks, but I have never done this before and want to make sure that I will be following the right steps. I would hate to totally screw things up. Could someone maybe give me a little advice or a step by step. Thank you

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi slimrhino...Welcome to G2G!

Is this an OEM machine? What kind of disks do you have? The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to help you.

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I did this recently for an HP and everything went very well. However all OEM disks aren't equal, some are only good for repair and not reinstallation.

slimrhino

slimrhino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes, this is an OEM computer. It is an E-machine T3265. The disks I am refering to are the restore cd's. There are three cd's and they came with the computer. the computer is about a 1 1/2 years old.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
slimrhino...

Turn on the computer.
Insert the Restore CD #1 into the optical drive (D:).
Restart your machine.
Restoration procedures will be started.
When the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears, type the number 1 and press Enter.

wannabe1

slimrhino

slimrhino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Will everything automatically load. Sounds too simple. But then simple things confuse me...lol