Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repair Install

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I have some corrupt files and such on my system. If I were to do a repair install, would this cause me to lose any of my files at all? I have many files that I simply can't lose, so will this touch anything else or wipe any of my drives or any portions of it?

Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hello again Exdeus!

Doing a Repair Installation of Windows (using the link in my signature as a guide) won't cause any damaage to your system. All your programs will still work afterwards and you won't lose any of your files or settings. All this does is replace the operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all Windows Updates after doing this.

Fenor

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey there Fenor!

After I do that, Im going to stick a post in this forum asking for some help in tweaking out my XP and PC to make it perform to its full potential...bc its a beast :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Will be glad to help with that! :tazz: What are the specs of this 'Beast'?

Fenor

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
In quick:

3.2ghz P4
Asus P4P800SE Motherboard
1024mb Dual Channel DDR (Crucial)
Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
260GB 7200RPM WD HD
160GB 7200RPM HD WD
Audigy Soundblaster 2 ZS
Sony DVD Dual Layer Burner
Sony DVD Player
Samsung 17" SyncMaster 730B LCD Monitor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
EXACT same monitor as mine and i absolutely love it! Just got it a month ago. Been wanting one for awhile, but I said to myself I wouldn't buy one until the monitor I got in 1995 died, and thank the lord the dang thing died last month and i finally had a reaosn to spend the couple hundred bucks on this beauty! :tazz: :) :woot: :woot: :woot: :P

Fenor

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Awesome! Then you can help me with this.

You know how you use the two programs that came with the monitor to control the colors and such on the monitor and the profiles.

Well, everytime I boot up a game, it automatically turns my screen super light...how do I make it stay dark like my desktop??? It doesnt work!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I didn't install the programs that came with it because I know they suck. I use my video card settings to determine the amount of color and lightness/darkness that is shown on my monitor.

What it looks like though is that the settings for your video card are conflicting with the settings for your monitor program.

Fenor

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Good call, time to delete! :tazz:

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey there...

Question for ya. I did a repair install of Windows XP, and I went to go and install all the Microsoft Updates from the website. I downloaded a few of them and they installed with no problem. However, when I got to Service Pack 2, it downloaded and began the scanning and backing up process of system files and the registry. After about 15 minutes of it running or so, it all of a sudden gives me an error that says:

on the top in the blue bar next to the X to close it: "Service Pack 2 Setup..." or something along those lines
then the error says "Access Denied."

I am on the only administrator account, the only account on the computer, and this has happened numerous times after numerous restarts. I have no other programs running. I also turned off my antivirus and firewalls and such too.

Any ideas, or should I just do a clean install of Windows XP?
I can grab my actual Windows XP Home disc from my other comp at home. The one I used was the one that came with my current pc, but it was just a Recovery disk so I dont know if everything was on there or not. So, should I just use that and do a clean install and save my important files on my hd?
Thanks.

Edited by Exdeus, 29 October 2005 - 01:46 PM.