Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cleaning out drivers

• Please log in to reply

Tchamber

Tchamber

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey all, I am having frame rate problems in CS Source, and read that cleaning out old video drivers helps. How do you do this in XP with Detonator drivers? Detonator Destroyer doesn't work with XP yet. If any of you play CSS, I have the following system:
P4 1.7ghz
1 gig RDRAM
Albatron Geforce 4 ti4600
Audigy 2 Value
2 IBM 60 HDs

All video options are set to off or lowest setting at 800x600 res. Frame rate goes from bad to worse, and sometimes gets even worse the longer I play.

Edited by Tchamber, 26 October 2005 - 11:36 PM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hello Tchamber and welcome to Geeks 2 Go!

Try Driver Cleaner. It removes drivers from ATi, Nvidia, 3dfx, SIS, Creative, Realtek and a few others.
The best thing about it is that it's freeware!

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 27 October 2005 - 04:51 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I can tell you why it stutters and its not to do with drivers, its that the computer isnt powerful enough to play it woithout stuttering and you probably have a mild heat problem(clean your pc inside to get rid of dust). The pc i used to game on was more powerful than your and it stuttered even when it was a fresh install nothing but HL2 and steam on it with the correct drivers. Your gfx card wont run it very will and is probably the main cause of your bother it will play CS but wont give you good fps even at low settings.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Well all I can say is hi and My computer plays css fine UNTIL I install the latest ati driver at which point i get massive slowdown I have never understood why this happens. It's only been from catalyst drivers 5.8 that i've had trouble with games so rolling them back may make it run faster if your computer can handle it. Seeing as warriorscot said it couldnt it's unlikely but worth a try

Tchamber

Tchamber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for all the input, guys. I will try out the Driver Cleaner, Zeus, and I hope the problem is not slow hardware. I will also try some older drivers I have backed up, see if one of those works better than the latest whql.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Remember to uninstall the existing driver before installing newer or older drivers.