Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Battery Monitor Icon Missing

• Please log in to reply

EireSpirit

EireSpirit

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

I've searched everywhere (via Google) for an answer to my missing battery monitor icon problem, but I haven't been able to find an answer that helped me. I've tried checking "show the icon" in power management, but all I get is a power cord in the system tray whether my laptop is plugged in or not. I tried a third party battery monitoring tool, but it didn't help. It, too, acted as if I had no battery.

I sure hope you can help me as I often use my laptop away from a power source.

Sincerely,
Kris

:tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try this, ctrl-alt-del, go to PROCESSES tab, and find explorer.exe

select and end it.

Now go to FILE > NEW TASK and type in explorer.exe, <enter>

Does it return?

If not, start > run
services.msc
<enter>

Scroll down the right window and find Plug and Play, double click it. Press the STOP button, and change the start up type to DISABLED. Click OK and reboot.

Does it return?

EireSpirit

EireSpirit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I tried your first suggestion (processes), but nothing happened. When I tried the plug and play option, my battery icon didn't reappear, but my two network icons disappeared (I'm still connecting with no problems, however).

If it helps to know this, under Control Panel --> Power Options Properties --> UPS Status, everything is grayed out (jpg attached).

Should I go ahead and reinstate Plug and Play?

Sincerely,
Kris

Attached Thumbnails

• UPS.JPG