Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A hard drive in the system reports it may fail

• Please log in to reply

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I just started getting a warning messsage that reads the above message. any idea what this could be?

The message reads: A hard drive in the system reports it may fail

when I click the warning message it opens up an intel storage utility window

Any ideas?

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Are you useing SMART tecnology?

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Two things...what is smart technology <lol> and I think so becasue it was a SMART event when I popped open the Intel window.
WHat does this mean?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It means it's time to get a new hard drive, before this one turns up it's toes completly, and use the software that comes with it to copy your system over to it, if it is the system disk, or just copy your files to it if it is the slave.

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
This PC is less than 1 year old. I just got the dell last December. Are you sure it is that? How much do hard drives run?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you got it last december it should still be under warranty, back up your important data if you can then call dell to get a replacement...that drive should not have failed in this short of a time...so they may need to check some other things for y ou..

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It may be covered by warranty. Some of the newer drives have problems, new technology that isn't proven yet. You can pick up new drives pretty cheaply, I've seen them for thirty or fourty dollars on sale.

PS: If it's a Maxtor or other major brand drive you can download software to copy your old system to the new drive from their website.

Edited by Tyger, 27 October 2005 - 08:06 AM.

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
well it hasnt failed yet. it jsut says that it may fail. So i suppose I can back up my data and I'll try calling dell to get warrenty information out of them. Thanks
Matt

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
well it hasnt failed yet. it jsut says that it may fail. So i suppose I can back up my data and I'll try calling dell to get warrenty information out of them. Thanks
Matt

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Matt

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
well it hasnt failed yet. it says it may fail. i guess i have to call dell and get warenty info out of them.
Thanks
Matt

WISVW

WISVW

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have this same issue with as 2 year old laptop. It is saying a SMART failure predicted on hard disc 0. It is a Toshiba HDD. Someone told me to reinstall Windows, that it was a software issue. I tried repairing it first with no luck, tomorrow should I try a complete reinstall, or do I really need a new hardrive?