Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Spyware tools for corporate network?

• Please log in to reply

brown705

brown705

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all:

I'm looking for advice on using FREE applications (legally) from sysadmins running a corporate Windows network, specifically to keep the users' workstations clean. I currently use SpyBot without TeaTimer and manually run updates and scans when I run Windows updates. This isn't too hard, since I am talking about only 30 workstations.

I have learned a lot about fighting malware in the past few months cleaning computers on sidejobs, mainly from the Malware forum here on GeeksToGo. I'm considering using SpywareBlaster on all of the workstations, and I'd like to know if any sysadmins have had issues with this in a Windows with Active Directory environment.

I'd also appreciate input on any other FREE prevention and/or cleaning apps in the corporate environment.

Thanks,
Michael

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
spyware blaster works great. has no issues in the AD enviroment. Microsoft Antispy is also pretty good. I would also highly recomend a software firewall. especially for those that have laptops. zone alarm has a free version that is pretty good. Also by making sure your systems are kept patched and serviced packed is the best way to prevent issues.

Being corp. the best thing to do is to have an overall strategy. from having a firewall to patching as well as uptodate antivirus protection. where I work at we finally got adaware professional.

starjax

brown705

brown705

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I agree with you on having a strategy, and I employ such. I'm not going with software firewalls; I have a Netscreen 25 in place. I also use Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition on all of the workstations and keep them up-to-date from the Microsoft Update site.

One concern I have about Microsoft Antispy is the notifications. I don't want my users calling me all the time to ask what the warnings are about. This is the reason that I don't use TeaTimer with SpyBot on the workstations. Can you and do you disable notifications with Microsoft Antispy?

Michael

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
once msas is installed and has gone through its routine you dont get many popups. I explain to the users that the red pop ups means that something happened and someone needs to check it out. I also explains that if it prompts to perform an action to read what it says. if it doesn't make sense then don't allow it. with 4000 users at my site I only get a handfull of calls regarding this. Less as time goes on.