Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How can I print accross a VPN back to my home PC

• Please log in to reply

sam.granado

sam.granado

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I connect to my network using the VPN option that is already built into windows. Then I access the information I want with an RDP connection. But I cant get the information that I have on my network to print on my printer at home. I am using win2k at home and accessing a small business server 2k at work. how can I get this set up to do this?

Advertisements

SandyJax

SandyJax

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
One way (certainly not the only way) is to:
1) set up Unix print services on your home PC, and share your PC on your home LAN, using a simple name like "LJ4".
2) Ensure that your PC has a static IP, and tell your router to forward port 515 to that IP.
3) Tell your work server that it has a new printer port, type LPR, at your router's outside IP with the name you gave it, should look like "1.2.3.4:LJ4"
4) Tell that machine that it has a new printer, too, of your model, using that port.

Caveats: both machines need Unix print services running. Win2K & newer have this as a built-in option, but you have to install it, then go into Services to make this auto-start.
Last, this all gets ugly Real Fast if you have a dynamic IP anywhere....

Edited by SandyJax, 29 October 2005 - 05:45 PM.