Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

internet keeps getting disconnected

• Please log in to reply

sallu

sallu

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello all.
I have run into some internet problems with my new laptop. its the very first laptop ive owned so i went out to get a wireless router and ended up buying a gigafast router. (i dunno if its a big company or not) anyway the problem is that sometimes the internet on my laptop just disconnects. this happens every few hours. i dunno why though, and the only way to fix it is to restart my computer.
i tried doing the repair function in network connections but that gets stuck on renewgin ip. the problem is that i do not get the ip renewed. and when i restart the computer, it is automatically renewed? what is that alll about?
also sometimes it runs at 54mbps and a bit later its at 48 or 32 or 24 or 11 or 1mbps. whats the deal with that.
i have rogers highspeed.
thankyou in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try WinsockXPFix from here

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Near the top

sallu

sallu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i ran the program u told me to try. but at the end it asked me to restart so basically i know my internet will work because it always does after a restart. It looked to me exactly like the windows repair utility. anyway maybe it did something else. i'll wait and see if the internet gets disconnected again. hopefully it wont. but usually it does take a few hours.
thankyou for the help :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as it said repaired and asked to reboot, it didn't get stuck anywhere, hopefully it will run OK

Check if your connection is set to disconnect if idle

sallu

sallu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
how would i go about doing that? i mean checking to see if it is set to disconnect if idle?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, network and internet, network, right click the connection, click properties, where it says connect using, click configure for the device then power management to see if the PC can turn it off to save power