Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install Windows update

• Please log in to reply

ExPago12

ExPago12

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I got Windows update yesterday. From three files to install, I only able to install two of them. The last one, Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400) was unable to install. It said that something in the computer prevents Windows to install it.

I've been trying to find answers over the Internet, and here are some facts about my problem:

1. In one forum, they said it was the antivirus that prevented the installation. I have disabled it but still didn't work. Then another guy said he could installed it but he had to UNINSTALL the antivirus (NORTON).
2. About four or five days ago, my antivirus gave me a notice that a file name SKVP.SYS in C:\WINDOWS\System32\ was a harmful and infectous file. It suggested me to quarantine or even remove the file. So I removed it. BUT on the net, some said that SKVP.SYS was not a harmful file, so we should just let it stays in that folder. However, Norton said that it has a critical threat and keeping could allow hacktool.rootkit to control our system.

So now I'm stuck with this icon form Windows that keeps asking me to install. No matter how many times I try, it won't let me install it. Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advanced.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Go to Kaspersky's online virus scan and have that SKVP.SYS file checked out. In my opinion, Kaspersky is the master when it comes to catching viruses. Let me know what it reports and we'll go from there. :tazz:

ExPago12

ExPago12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Go to Kaspersky's online virus scan and have that SKVP.SYS file checked out. In my opinion, Kaspersky is the master when it comes to catching viruses. Let me know what it reports and we'll go from there. :tazz:

I HAD deleted the file five days ago.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Ok, my mistake. Does it give you any kind of message when it fails to install the update?

Also, let's do a quick check to make sure your computer is completely clean. Have your entire computer scanned at Trend Micro's online scan. Do a virus + security scan. It scans for viruses, trojans, spyware, and security holes. Disinfect or delete whatever viruses, trojans, or spyware it finds.

If it does find junk, after cleanning restart your computer and try to install that windows update. Let me know the results.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 October 2005 - 08:20 AM.

ExPago12

ExPago12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Whoa. Thanks a lot!! It works. It seemed that a trojan caused it. Thank you once again!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You are very welcome! Glad I could help! :tazz: