Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network detected but unable to browse, update, etc...

• Please log in to reply

sewildman50

sewildman50

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I recently discovered that my computer had contracted the w32.delf virus (visible effect was turning many file icons to a yellow piece of cheese). I installed and ran Panda Platinum 2006, which detected and disinfected over 600 files on my computer. It was then that I discovered that the internet was not working, nor was I able use auto updates, or connect to the internet through video games. First I checked my connection. Windows XP was able to detect when I disconnect my cable wires and, accordingly detected when I reconnected the cord. My cable modem (external) is showing all of the appropriate lights for my connection. The PC light does, however, turn off for a split second every now and then but I've seen that happen before and it didn't cause the internet to stop working.

I've checked the report for all of the files disinfected and none seem to be anything that would be important for the internet.

Again, I am using Windows XP. Internet Explorer loads up but is unable to navigate. Connection seems to be intact.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
since you mentioned an infection Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

because you may have something else lurking in there...

also do start > run > ipconfig /all and post the results in here...
remember...keep the HJT log and all malware stuff in your malware thread...just show the ipconfig here.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Sounds exactly like one of those viruses you removed was attached to the LSP level of your computer. When it was removed, it broke your internet link.

Download Hijack This and start a topic in the Malware Forum. Post a HJT log there, along with the description of your problem. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, report back here. If your problem is solved after a malware expert helps you, let me know, I always like to know the results :tazz: .

sewildman50

sewildman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Thanks guys. All I needed to know was the "LSP level". From there I googled it and found a an LSP fix on the internet that allowed me to correct my problem. Internet working fine now.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Great! Glad I could help. :tazz: