Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows Me locks up

• Please log in to reply

katherz9

katherz9

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am running windows Me 384 mg Internet Exolorer 6.0. I first thought my prob was my firewall (Zone alarm) disconnected that..nope not that. Next ran Panda scan, adaware, spybot,etc still nothing. Tried fixing IE 6.0, no help. When I boot up I can get on to IE but the minute I close it the puter hangs, this also happens with AOL. Also sometime (I don't know when exactly) my add/remove in control panel went blank...what the [bleep] is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not installed any new software or hardware, so it can't be that. I run Norton antivirus (older corporate version) could that be causing problems???? Registry????
Thanks in advance, Kathy
:tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This sounds suspiciously malware related. Some malware will disable add/remove or riched20.dll or other items you need to remove them or install anti-malware software.

katherz9

katherz9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I installed spysweeper, it found a couple of things and deleted them, asso ran adaware, spybot. running spyblaster. It no longer hangs up but ypu have to reboot after each page ypu look at. If you try to click on another page it says "attempting to open 205.188.146.146" then times out and will do nothing else until you reboot. :tazz:
Kathy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to run a repair, you might try the repair disk you got with the machine, or whatever was used to install the operating system. The repair procedures for ME are a bit different and I'm not well acquainted with them. There is something akin to system file checker, but under another name (why change something that works!) and there is some kind of registry scan too.

katherz9

katherz9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It came with the O/S installed and no discs. everything is in cab files on the hard drive.
Any other help out there??? :tazz: Kathy

katherz9

katherz9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
:tazz: I fixed it--yahoo. Bought a seven day lease of Mighty Max...unbelievable amounts of crap in the registry that were not found with other programs. Cleaned that mess up then followed CatCat94's instructions on fixing IE 6.0. Everything going good now. Hope this helps someone else. Here is the fix for IE:
If Internet Explorer is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, you may be able to start the IE Repair tool from command prompt.

Click Start~~~>Run, and then type the following:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

NOTE: This command is case sensitive.

If you need to replace a bad file, use either the System File Checker (SFC) tool or the Extract tool to extract the file. For more info please check out the Microsoft Support page:

http://support.micro...;293907&sd=tech <http://support.micro...293907&sd=tech>

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
That's excellent news! You can always use the cab files when you need to run a repair, or even to reinstall if you need that.

katherz9

katherz9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey Tyger, I am going to have to re-install my add/remove panel
as it got trashed in all the mess I had. How do I find that in my cab files?
Thanks, Kathy :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'll be on an ME machine in a while. I'd say run the equivalent of the system file checker, but offhand I don't know the name of it for ME. If someone else chips in with the right answer that would be nice.