Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Arg! Windows Media Player Still Does Not....

• Please log in to reply

roppongi

roppongi

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I really appreciate the recent input on this problem, but even after downloading video codec divx, my player keeps its solid black screen and has no audio. I want to listen to a streaming Japanese news site, RAB TV, Aomori Japan.

Previous computer, destroyed by lightning, had no problem playing this site.

Tom recommended Media Player Classic. If I downloaded that, would I have to uninstall the Windows Media Player? I do not know how to get my computer to access a new media player...don't understand how that works.

If anyone thinks there is still hope for activating the resident Windows Media Player 10, I would really like to learn something about that. I'm not just here for help but to learn. Plain English, please!

Much obliged for previous comments. Any help appreciated. Jim

ps. This is E-Machine, Windows XP, Home Edition

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Windows Media Player Classic is separate from WMP 10 right now since that version is not made by Microsoft.

Try VLC Media Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

That's the "all in one" player and should play most video files.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Playing streaming media is a bit of a different story. Two popular codecs for online streaming media are RealPlayer and Quicktime. Does the website say what format the video is in? Some people don't like these codecs since the official installer include a lot of bloatware and functionality we don't need. Luckily some smart people have made "alternative" versions of these codecs for us to use and I will link those below. These will also allow your web browser to play these streaming codecs.

RealPlayer Alternative:
http://www.free-code...Alternative.htm

Quicktime Alternative:
http://www.free-code...Alternative.htm

Would you be able to provide the link to this news website so I could try it on my browser and see if it works?

Also, to use Media Player Classic (MPC), you DO NOT have to uninstall WMP and they won't harm each other. To use MPC, you simply start the program and open your desired media file.

Cheers,
Tom

I really appreciate the recent input on this problem, but even after downloading video codec divx, my player keeps its solid black screen and has no audio. I want to listen to a streaming Japanese news site, RAB TV, Aomori Japan.

Previous computer, destroyed by lightning, had no problem playing this site.

Tom recommended Media Player Classic. If I downloaded that, would I have to uninstall the Windows Media Player? I do not know how to get my computer to access a new media player...don't understand how that works.

If anyone thinks there is still hope for activating the resident Windows Media Player 10, I would really like to learn something about that. I'm not just here for help but to learn. Plain English, please!

Much obliged for previous comments. Any help appreciated. Jim

ps. This is E-Machine, Windows XP, Home Edition

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you for your responses...sorry for delay. For some reason, I could not access this site for most of yesterday.

Now that you mention it, it may have been RealPlayer that was playing this news site on previous computer. Maybe I have been thrown off by fact that only thing that pops up on this computer is WMP. (However, I have a friend here in town who told me he's getting that news site on WMP...maybe he's mistaken about which player he's using?? I'll check it out with him.)

By the way, between the Media Player Classic, the RealPlayer alternative, and the also recommended VLC Media player, if I only download one, which would you go with?

Tom, Radio Aomori Broadcasting is at http://www.rab.co.jp/

When site comes up, click NEWS in upper right corner. When next page arrives, double click the blue bar under one of the pictures on the right side of the articles. This will activate player. Of course, script on pages will be mumbojumbo unless you are Japanese character enabled.

Thanks tons for your help! Look forward to hearing from you... Jim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Media Player ran it, Winamp and Real Player did not

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you, Keith...

Do you mean Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Media Player 10

http://www.filehippo...dia_player.html

You can try Classic here

http://www.filehippo...lternative.html

Real Alternative includes media classic

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks, Keith...

I already have WMP 10... that's the one that isn't working for me.

On the Real alternative including the Classic... you mean it's really two players in one??

Many thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
According to this

Real Alternative allows your system to play Real Media files (.ra .ram) without having to install the full version of Real Player.

It comes bundled with Media Player Classic - a freeware media player that supports both Real Alternative and QuickTime Alternative.

http://www.filehippo...lternative.html

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks Keith...

I may download that...

...however, what's your best shot on why my WMP does not play streaming video and other people's does?? Could it be an E-machine quirk?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Perhaps the amount of RAM Memory

Click tools, options, performance to reduce the video acceleration in media player, click apply

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
When you say 'amount of memory' do you mean I may not have enough?
Hummmm... This machine (whatever it has) has tons more RAM than the previous one that allowed me to play this streaming news site.

I can follow you through 'tools' and 'options' but I see no "performance' after that...

Am I missing something?

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Belarc analysis of my computer says I have 1024 MB of RAM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click options you get this

[attachment=4514:attachment]

If you click performance you can adjust the video acceleration then click apply

[attachment=4515:attachment]

I will remove the images when you have looked at them

You have enough Ram Memory for this

roppongi