Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control panel won't work - and more

• Please log in to reply

jte6

jte6

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm having a major problem w ith my Dell 8100, running windows millennium. I installed McAfee antivirus after uninstalling Norton antivirus. There was a conflict and McAfee prompted me to uninstall Norton again. I tried but couldn't seem to get rid of everything. I went into my Program Files, found anything with the words, "Symantec" or "Norton" and manually deleted them. I then tried reinstalling McAfee. It would get so far, even created desktop icons. When I tried to open McAfee, it would open with only a blank screen.
I then realized that a whole host of newer, bigger problems happened. I can open Control Panel, but nothing is in there. It actually tells me on the bottom of the page that there are 33 objects in there, but I can't see anything at all. (I did try going into View, and changing it to every option - i.e. list, small icons, large icons, etc. still nothing.) Then I went on the Internet, using IE. I can still get to just about every site. When I am in my Yahoo mail, I can read my mail, but perform no other functions in the mail - no delete, no reply. We have Comcast hi speed internet, and I can't get to the main comcast page - tells me there is a conflict w/ith my Internet security. When I go to yahoo and sign in , a page appears for an instant telling me that some browser setting is preventing me from automatically being directed - but I can "click here" and it will direct me to my mail.
I know this is long, but we are at our wit's end. I have called both Comcast (incredibly useless - they told me to clear my cache and cookies) and then called McAfee, who tried to help me by checking on whether any files were missing. They could find nothing and told me to reformat my hard drive! Help!
Thanks so much, Julie
Also, one of the web pages that will not load is windows update, so I can't try to fix it from there. I'm not running a free antivirus, Avast, which is the only one that would load after I got rid of McAfee.
also, I tried to do a system restore, under system tools, but that will not load anymore either

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi, it sounds as if you are having real problems.

We can try to restore your system to a previous date when it was working properly and hope that this corrects your many problems.

To do this press and hold the ctrl key on startup to get to the boot menu.

Choose the command prompt option. At the prompt enter:

scanreg /restore (space after "scanreg") and select a date prior to your problem - but not the oldest.

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for your help but it didn't work. I held down the control key at startup and nothing happened. I tried a few times and couldn't get to the prompt.
I let windows load and got into MS DOS through the Start menu. The only dates that came up to restore to were the last 4 days - the problem started over the weekend. I really appreciate your help - is there anything else I can try?

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi again,

Get back to MS DOS and instead of "restore" type in scanreg /fix (again note the space) if the registry is corrupt in any way this should fix it.

Post back

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I did the scanreg /fix through DOS - it prompted me to restart the computer. restarted and it's exactly the same. Is there anything else? Should I be losing hope?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jte6...

Rather than using the registry restore, try System Restore.

Click Start and point to Programs, then to Accessories, then to System Tools, and select System Restore...Check the button "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next". See if there is a Bold date in the calendar on the left that is before the problem began and click on it ...click "Next". Accept all prompts to restore and let the machine restart. If it is able to restore, accept the procedure on restart.

Let us know how it goes.

wannabe1

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
System Restore is not loading anymore either. The Help and Support page seems to open up, but it remains blank. Sorry.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jte6...

How do you feel about being a little creative in the Windows Registry? You up for it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
First we need to see if these registry keys are present. If they're not we'll have to create them and set their values.

Click Start then Run and type regedit in the "Run box"...Click "Ok". In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, click the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then Software, then Classes and see if there is a folder labeled .htc Let me know if that registry key is present.

Click on the - to collapse each of the keys you just expanded.

Now expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and see if the folder .htc is present in this key. Let me know if it's there.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 28 October 2005 - 09:41 PM.

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I checked the registry and .htc is there under both HKey local-software-classes and Hkey classes root -
Is this a good thing?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jte6...

Sorry I'm so long in getting back to you...my ISP had a fire in their server room and has been down since late Friday night!! :tazz:

Navigate back to the registry keys as I described in my earlier post...Click on the .htc folder, and in the right pane, check to see that the "Content Type" value (under "Data") is text/x-component This should be true for both registry keys.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 30 October 2005 - 02:34 PM.

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for getting back to me -
I checked and the text/x-component is there under htc in both places.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jte6...

Do you have your Win ME installation CD? We may have to extract a file from that to replace a corrupt one in the Windows folder.

wannabe1

jte6

jte6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I found my Windows Millennium reinstallation CD! Also, just in case this is important, I have Firefox on my computer and the sites that are having trouble in Internet Explorer, are working in Firefox. Does that mean anything?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jte6...

Yes, it just might.

From Internet Explorer...Click on Tools, then on Internet Options. Under the "General" tab, click on the "Delete Cookies" button and click "Ok". Then click on the "Delete Files" button, check the box to "Delete all offline content" and click "Ok".

Under the "Privacy" tab, make sure the level is set to Medium. Click on the "Sites" button and type the url's of the sites you want to visit in the box, click "Allow", and then "Ok" when finished. "Apply" the changes and click "Ok".

Now try to visit those sites...let me know if this works.

wannabe1