Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Right click security

• Please log in to reply

nave_S

nave_S

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

For security purposes and such i would like to know how to disable the right click on my desktop.

Can anyone help me out here?

evan

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
xp pro or xp home?

nave_S

nave_S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
my pc is home and laptop is pro.... if you can id like to know both

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what exactly are you wanting to stop from happening on the desktop? just so i know how indepth i have to get..

also...xp home isn't as configurable so i'm just gonna be able to help you with the pro

nave_S

nave_S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
not to indepth... I just want it so that ppl cant change properties on porgrams, and display on the desktop and that stuff.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...i can get you to the desktop properties stuff pretty quick....give me a second

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do start > run > gpedit.msc (remember this is only gonna work on the pro machine

go to the user configuration > administrative templates > desktop

enable these options
remove properties from my documents
remove properties from my computer
remove properties from recycle bin

go to the user configuration > administrative templates >control panel > display

now enable these options

prevent changing wallpaper
hide appearance and themes tab
hide settings tab
hide screen saver tab

this will take care of a few of the things you want...as far as the display
any of the changes i told you to do above will apply to all users on the computer even the administrator accounts...so remember or save these steps..because if you want to access anything that got disabled..you'll have to reverse them

as far as dissallowing people to change properties of the items on your desktop...you should probably set up more than one user on your computer and password protect yours...set up the others as limited users and don't give them access to those programs

nave_S

nave_S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks!!