Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

jromer5

jromer5

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello! I am having problems with my wireless network. I have a linksys wireless router Model BEFW11S4 v.4 and my modem is a speedstream 5100. Yesterday my wireless connection was working fine and today I cannot connect at all. I am currently wired connected directly to the modem so I know my DSL works fine, the modem must not be communicating to the router. Any help would be great.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you mention an ip conflict....what do yo umean?

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
When windows is restarting, a little messagebox appears that says " Windows is having an IP conflict with another device". I don't know what that means, I'm only using one computer. I bought the router two years ago and since have had three differenr computers connected, but it has always been just one computer at a time. I don't know much, but I wouldn't think this would be a problem because it had been working fine.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is your computer using dhcp to get it's ip address or did you set it up to be a static ip address?

do you have any wireless security set up...like a wep key? or is it a completely unsecured connection

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
WOW!! I really feel silly. I have no idea what you just asked me for the first question. I don't think I have any wireless security (freaking out).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
heheh be calm...it'll be ok
right click on network places and do properties
then right click on the wireless connection and do properties
this will bring up a window with some different things listed as protocols
scroll down till you see one called tcp/ip
click that and do properties
is there an ip there or does it say to aquire it automatically

as far as the wireless security...you really need to enable some on your router...the most common form is wep..
all you have to do is get into your router's configuration page then set a wep password...this will give you a list of hexadecimal values that you will have to use to connect to the connection.

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
whew!

Ok! I did what you asked and it looks like it acquires the IP add automatically.

In regards to the router configuartion page, that is probably the http://192.168.1.1 for my router right?

I have been trying to troubleshoot since yesterday but I can't figure it out.

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I figured it out. I had to configure my router. Thanks for your time and help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you tell me exactly what you did to fix the issue for future reference?

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
probably set the router to use DHCP as it looks like the IP add for the computer was already set to acquire one automatically

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I had to reset the router to factory settings because the router was not being detected. I figured this out by entering ipconfig in the command prompt and noticing that when modem, router and computer were all hardwired I was not getting an IP address. I knew how to reset the router by going to the linksys website. How all this resolved the IP conflict I have no idea, all I know is that it is working. I hope this helps. Like I said I am not a computer whiz so I don't even know if what I said to you makes sense. I can tell you how I accessed the router setup page.

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Oh I also had several preferred wireless networks named the same, do I got rid of all of them and started a new one.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thank you for letting us know how you fixed the issue...this information may turn out to be helpful for other people who have the same problem...and congratulations for thinking outside the box and fixing this issue on your own.

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks, did this information help? I have the step by step information on how to setup the router, do you need this?