Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware problems?

• Please log in to reply

beemuu

beemuu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I'm running a P4 with 300Mb + memory, XP Home (more about this later)

Just recently I've had problems with my computer running slow, so I have scanned it with numerous programs inc MSoft AntiSpyware, AdAware, SpyBot, Ewido and quite a few others. Quite a few items were found and removed but it did not seem to improve the start up speed.

I could use msconfig aand unticked a number of programs from the start up file.

I decided to try a repair of WinXp home, forgetting that I had downloaded a number of win updates over the last year. It did a system compatibility check first and I did the upgrade option (recommended). However, after I had run the repair the performance didn't seem to improve and a number of other problems have surfaced.

The windows firewall cannot be seen or modified thru Control panel. When I click on start/run and type msconfig in the dialog box nothing happens, so I cannot check what is running at start up.

If I type anything in the run dialog box nothing happens. Task Manager doesn't show if I use ctrl+alt+del.

I am about to back up/copy the important data files on the system and do a reformat and a clean install.

Do I have any other option?

Look forward to some assistance if it's available.

Regards

Beemuu

Advertisements