Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MB CPU upgrade

• Please log in to reply

sturoc

sturoc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi gang,
Would like to upgrade from PII w/ old intel mb to something like a P4 ASUS combo. Is there a way to keep Hard drives intact or do I need to reformat. Just trying to keep all files and folders without having to go thru the huge backup process. Would keep same OS . Is it possible ?
PII
Win2K pro

Thanks
sturoc

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G sturoc

The problem with upgrading the motherboard etc is that all the motherboard drivers (and video drivers if that changes also) will need updating in Windows. If you're lucky you will get away with simply attaching the old drive intact to the new motherboard & letting windows update the drivers. A lot of times though, this can fail or lead to a buggy windows installation.

If you decide to try it anyway, I would still recommend you backup your most important stuff first, just in case.

There are ways of doing this however in win2000 that will give you the best chance of success. Check out the link below for an article on how best to go about this:
http://www.windowsre...board/win2k.htm

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Not readily. Both XP and win2K don't like changing motherboards in particular. If you have more than one hard drive move all your files over to one of them, say the slave drive. After they've been moved you might try the change, but don't get your hopes up. If you only have one drive it might be a good idea to get another now, they're on sale quite cheaply now.

Moving the files to another drive is very easy if your connect them as master/slave on a 40 wire cable, or cable select if you're using an 80 wire cable. You don't even need to mount the drive you're moving the files to, just connect it.

sturoc

sturoc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for advice and the Welcome,
Bear w/ me on this topic:
okay let's see
I do have 2 hd's in system. But judging from the info it may be better just to do a back up.
Can I at least keep the program files on the drive? or it ALL has to be saved elseware. Do I have to reload from scratch all the programs? Sounds like it 's not a simple connect Hd back up to MB and off you go...???
Thanks
sturoc

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
personally I would do a format and complete reinstall this would require you to backup all personel files witch you should be doing anyway in case a drive fails and eventually it will.

I would also reload all the programs this will give you a good clean install of the OS witch is never a bad thing and does speed up the computer.

Think about it this way you are upgrading to make the computer run faster so you are going to all the trouble of switching mobo's why not go the extra and get a good clean install of the os and besure everthing is running at its full potential.

just my 2 cents on the subject

Rick

sturoc

sturoc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys,

Sounds good will go that route. Let ya know how it all went for future posters !

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi sturoc

I have to say that I agree with Doby on this on & think you're making the right decision.

When you're backing up all your data etc, don't forget to also backup your email messages & account settings, your internet account settings, your address book & favourites. These are the ones that people often forget about until its too late!