Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

server manager network path not found

• Please log in to reply

BBQ_Mike

BBQ_Mike

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am on a NT4 domain and have a computer that does not show up under the domain in network places, it is not seen by McAfee protection pilot, but PointDev shows it but as not connected.

I can ping it by IP and name resolution but cannot Admin$ into it (net share shows all shares up).

The computer is w2ksp4 it sees the entire domain with no problem. the restrictanonymous registry value is not set to restrict.

In Server manager the computer is grayed out as if it is not connected, double clicking on it gets a Network Path not found error.

I have deleted it from server manager, moved the computer to a standalone workgroup and re joined the domain, it comes back in Server manager with the same problem and not seen on the Domain.

Any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
crap, nt4 domain....

all right, my experience with nt4 domains is limited but let's think this through.

If it is in server manager, but grey out, it means there is an account created, but the computer has not joined. Adding and removing it should leave it grayed out until the computer joins.

Since everything else is getting its information from the PDC or back up PDC, it seems likely that nothing else would see it either, or see it as not connected.

I am puzzled why it sees the domain--can it access the domain resources?

Is it seeing it because of residual information stored in the workstation cache?

How did this workstation come to be? Created from scratch? Was it ever a member of domain? DId you clone a previous machine?

Is the name similar or exactly the same as a previous machine?

If you cloned it, did you remove the SID so that it would not share a hardware ID with another?

BBQ_Mike

BBQ_Mike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am new to this location so I do not have all the history back to god, but here is what I know. the computer has been on the domain for at least one year
The computer has full access to all domain resources mappings printers file servers, everything the user has rights for, no problem on his end but I can not see him and can not get him on McAfee protection pilot so I know he is updated.
I removed the computer from server manager and removed the computer from the domain, I then joined the domain again (with the same computer name) same problem.
I will try changing the computer name and joining the domain, I can not think of any thing else

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Darn, I was thinking it was a clone that had never neen connected before....

I like the name change idea.....

Need to think about this some more

BBQ_Mike

BBQ_Mike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Any Ideas would be good
I also updated the Nic Driver and found a new issue on the work station
the Local Security Policy will not allow me in even as Admin I get a access denied.
I have scanned it with all tools and no virus are found, but I believe it has had one in the past that has gummed up the works, I am searching for any old logs or events to verify this.

I cannot blow the op system away yet as it is a engineering workstation and he cannot let go of it until sometime in the distant future.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, the plot thickens.

Some sort of corruption, perhaps, or someone altered the Access Control List for the registry, or maybe system folders? It makes no sense that you cannot install a driver as administrator unless you have been specifically denied....and who would do that? Any chance this is a paranoid engineer who knows just enough to be dangerous?

BBQ_Mike

BBQ_Mike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can load drivers and add\remove software, I cannot get into the administrative tools\security settings\local policies (access denied) is there a backdoor (MMC or CPL) I wouuld like to check all the settings in there even if it is thru regedit.

I believe Corruption is the culprit, if the user is blocking that is another issue

the bottom line is I need to get it fixed and if it was the users paranoia I need to be able to keep him from doing it again so I need to know what he did. I can't get much time on the computer because of the users workload and as I stated before he is not having any problems so he does not think it is broke.

I will try the computer name change today, I believe that will eliminate a network issue and focus it on the workstation.

Thanks any more thoughts bring them on.
Mike