Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nvidia Video Driver Update ?

• Please log in to reply

perf68

perf68

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
From dxdiag, I am running a Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 video driver, which I think needs to be updated.

My questions...

1. Do I update to a different series driver, like 5700 or 6??? Or are those completely seperate drivers? I've downloaded what I thought were updates from Nvidia, but I get a message saying no compatible drivers found, and nothing installs. Are there specific 5200 updates?

2. If they are seperate drivers and not updates, how do I update 5200? Or if installing a seperate, newer driver is optimal, how do I do it?

Not that I have to tell anybody after those questions, but I'm pretty computer illeterate. Thanks.

Running Windows XP.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nvidia use a one size fits all for GeForce

http://www.nvidia.co...ge/drivers.html

perf68

perf68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I download and open, the setup program says....

"Nvidia Setup Program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardwarer."

Setup then exits.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer then click properties, hardware, device manager, click + next to display adapter, right click it / them, click uninstall, click confirm then reboot

Install the drivers

perf68

perf68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Same error message as previous.

Then (I think) 5200 reinstalled.

Display is now blurry. HP7140us laptop.

Curager

Curager

• Pip
  • 6 posts

From dxdiag, I am running a Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 video driver, which I think needs to be updated.

I'm assuming this is a laptop. The thing is Nvdia deoesn't support Geforce Fx go series with their forceware drivers as they leave that to your laptop maunfacturers but u can still install these drivers and in most case run without any problems. In order to get those drivers to recognize you card you have to get a infs file. Everthing u need can be found here:

http://www.laptopvid...o.com/index.php

and make sure to read the instructions here to install the drivers properly

http://www.laptopvid...hp?showtopic=33

Kylethemostlygoodboy

Kylethemostlygoodboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. Yes, regarding my difficulties updating the GeForce4 440 Go 64M driver--Curager is 100% correct! In my case HP supplied the update for my Compaq Presario laptop. Here's the link for my specific GeForce driver if anyone else has a comparable chip.

http://h10025.www1.h...item=ob-30149-1

Btw I'm really a novice and extremely good at butting my head against the wall with minimal results.

I'll try to say this tactfully but giving advice like "Nvidia use a one size fit all for Geforce" should be done with care. If it's flawed, as in this example, the result is a lot of ignorant folks like myself will spin our wheels and chew up a lot of time. I thank you all for your time and advice but please be a bit more careful with the accuracy of the advice.

thanks,
Kyle

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Perhaps you should take it up with Nvidia

NVIDIA® ForceWare® Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)

The NVIDIA Unified Driver Architecture (UDA) is the foundation for the company’s award-winning ForceWare drivers and delivers forward-and-backward compatibility across all implementations of NVIDIA desktop, workstation, mobile, platform, and multimedia processors. With a single driver, UDA delivers ongoing performance and feature improvements, reduced maintenance time, increased scalability, and a lower total cost of ownership.
UDA benefits include:

Decreased maintenance time and total cost of ownership: With a single UDA driver across your enterprise, only one driver has to be managed, configured, and installed.
Ongoing improvements: NVIDIA continues to add more functionality and performance to the UDA driver. This allows older processors to enjoy more features and run faster at no additional cost.
Reduced hardware/driver conflicts: every driver is thoroughly tested with all previous products, and new products are even tested with old drivers.
Increased scalability: upgrading products and adding new hardware is simplified when your graphics solution is based on NVIDIA hardware and the UDA driver.
Future ready: The NVIDIA driver is available for over 10 different operating systems, including Windows 64-bit, Linux, and FreeBSD.
Top OEMs continue to pick generation after generation of NVIDIA graphics and platform processors for their lines of computer solutions. They recognize the excellence of NVIDIA's technology, the stability of our solutions, our dedication to ease of administration via UDA, and our commitment to delivering fantastic performance at terrific prices.

ForceWare software supports the entire line of TNT2™ processors, the GeForce™ consumer line of GPUs, the NVIDIA nForce™ platform processors, the NVIDIA Quadro® line of professional GPUs, as well as the full line of NVIDIA mobile processors.