Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

API Help with C++

• Please log in to reply

Flint

Flint

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Alright, for my senior project at school i'm doing game programming. For my product (due february-marchish) I hope to have some sort of basic, very simply game that is playable for presentation - something like Pong or Tetris.

I am currently learning C++, using the Dev-C++ compiler/IDE. I quickly learned that right now all i'm able to do is create console applications, and game-wise, this is simply text-based games (like "Guess My Number").

So I did some searching on the net and from what i've learned, I need to learn and incorporate an API to create graphics (even if it's as simple as a pong ball and 2 sticks).

Here are my main questions, any and all answers will be greatly appreciated. :tazz:
  • For something as simple as a Pong or Tetris clone.... OpenGL or Direct3D?
  • Once i've chosen OpenGL or Direct3D, how do I go about incorporating it with Dev-C++?
  • Is there anything else I need to learn to help me get this task accomplished in about four month's time?
I understand making a game can be time-consuming, but keep in mind I only hope to make something very basic - like Pong for example. Heck, anything - I just want more than text.

I've recently downloaded Microsoft's Visual C++, but i'm having errors and the like with it and it's generally giving me a hard time - I intend to just stick with Dev-C++ if possible.

Thanks!

Advertisements

chickenman

chickenman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Use allegro, it's great for making 2D games and it's also very easy to learn, MSVC++ sucks, don't use it, Good luck.

www.allegro.cc

Edited by chickenman, 06 November 2005 - 03:52 PM.