Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Lap top doesnt stay on?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently came across a computer for free had a new hard drive installed and keyboard as well. To my point, I didnt have any start up discs with the comp i used a friends but the windows will only run for 15 mins then the comp shuts off. Could this be the software i need to original or is this a hardware problem?

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Sound like a hardware issue to me. possiblly a bad battery does it still do it when it is pluged into a outlet for power?

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Could be hardware as finehout suggests or a driver issue or heat...at this point I suspect the latter.

Download Speed Fan, install it, and monitor the temperatures. Post the low temps (at start up) and the high temps (after it has run close to 15 minutes or near a system shutdown) to this thread.