Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
OMG thnx u for all your help it worked =D

Advertisements

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
What happened? How did u solve ur problem?

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
follow the steps he gave to us...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems to me that in your first installation of XP a mistake was made at the point of partition create/delete. This HD, how many partitions it had on the previous computer. Does it have any important data on it? Did you make a clean installation of xp (formatting the disk in the process) or did you make a repair installation (repair would be enough for new hardware if you do not want to reformat the disk)

If you have no important data on the disk, or if you can backup it up to another storage device, I think that your best bet would be reformat and clean installation of the disk, creating partitions to your liking. If you want to avoid reformat you can use Partition Magic (not free) or another program that can resize the partition.

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
IT did work. Excellent. Thanks.

nheinrich

nheinrich

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Don't mean to bring up an old topic, but I'm having this EXACT same problem. Just reinstalled XP, drive used to say 250GB, decided to be crafty and reformat my slave (the 250GB drive) during my reinstall. Upon finishing, my drive (which used to work fine as a 250GB) says 127, ive tried all sorts of stuff. I'm now running SP2, have the correct atapi version and the bios sees the drive as 232GB, but nothing seems to get me back to that size in windows. I also don't have any sort of unallocated memory on my drive when I look in my Disk Management.

Can someone please help. :tazz:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi there.

How can you reformat a drive during the installation of the operating system on another drive? It seems that there is a repeating mistake. You must install the OS on drive C: which must be located on a HD jumpered as master (or cable select) on primary IDE connection, at the end of the flat cable. C: can take up the entire volume of the disk or only part of it in which case you create more partitions. Only after OS is installed on C: you can format the other partitions and storage devices.

The reinstallation process is such that during a clean format you create C: and the other partitions. Just followup the instruction carefully. Then you are asked how to format the partition on which the OS will be installed (NTFS, NTFS quick, FAT 32, fat 32 quick). I always choose NTFS. Then the installation proceed without any further reference to the other partitions or hard disks, if there are any. Only after the installation of the OS is finished on drive c: you can format the other partitions. You do that by clicking My Computer then right clicking the drive that you want to format (excluding C:), choose Format from the menu and thats it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You just need to install SP2 that will give you the full size.

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Great advice and it works.

I have a question: How would I be able to make the 2 drives into one drive?