Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Power Up

• Please log in to reply

crispy

crispy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Not a huge problem, but on my older HP, I used to be able to power up the computer (not wake up from sleep or idle or hibernate) by touching the keyboard. Do you have any idea how I can do this with my Dell? It's a Dimension 4600 with Windows XP.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as in..you turn of the computer completely...power down and everything....then press abutton on the keyboard?

was this a special button?

i suspect that you were truly going into hibernation...as i h aven't heard of being able to actually access the power switch through the keyboard...the power switch is a direct switch for a specific purpose...so i don't think the keyboard could take it's place

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
All I had to do was touch the space bar. The computer had been completely powered down the night before. In the morning, just touch the space bar and it would go through an entire boot on.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how did you go about powering down the computer?

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The usual. Start, Turn Off Computer. A regular full power down.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I think on some computers it's an option in the bios. so look at that. its not possible for some motherboards I believe, asus was a big one on that. my boyfriend does it with his comp to show off. its neat. :tazz:

Edited by Thef0rce, 28 October 2005 - 02:51 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...never heard of it....sorry for doubting...

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Anybody find anything on this?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I replied earlier and said that you should look in the bios. that's the only way to know if it can be enabled as a feature on your computer.

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I don't know how to do that. Can you help?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I looked it up. hold F2 as the computer begins to boot to enter the bios. once there you'll see a window with a lot of options, read through them carefully. the feature you're after is a special feature for most motherboards and it might be listed by itself but I'm not sure about that. there will be information about boot order and drive and memory information. don't change anything that you're not sure of. the interface is pretty well explained.

another thing you can do before you go into the bios is to see if you can find the motherboard manual. that will tell you also. I'll try and link you to an online one in a second if I can get into the dell site without registering.

just so you know, there's a chance that you might not find this option in the bios because the hardware might not be enabled for this method of start-up. after all, it is a dell :tazz:

Edited by Thef0rce, 04 November 2005 - 05:02 PM.