Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address blocking?

• Please log in to reply

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Win XP Home SP2

The problem I'm having occurs in both IE and Firefox. I cannot visit certain web sites from my computer. I have been able to go to these sites on other computers, so it isn't a matter of the sites being down. I've also been dealing with this problem for over a month. The URL(s) are belong to my ISP. http://netservices.verizon.net, for instance is unacessable in either browser on my machine. I've checked my settings in IE Tools>Internet Options>Privacy to make sure that the domains aren't being blocked. I've run EWIDO, Spybot, Ad-Aware, etc. ect. and none of those programs have found any malware causing this problem. Anybody have an idea?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Interesting...maybe your HOSTS file has been hijacked. Try going to the website using their IP address:

Let me know if it works.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
No dice.

Attached Thumbnails

• ss.jpg

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Great job in supplying me with a picture! From the strange address in the status bar at the bottom, I believe you've been hijacked. Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting. If your problem is resolved by a malware expert, let me know. I always like to know the results :tazz: .

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Here's the thing - I've been through the malware forums and those guys can't seem to find the issue either. On top of that issue, I've got a Windows update for Outlook that will not install. I don't know if the problems are realated, but they are quite bothersome!

KayaK

KayaK

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I seem to be having the same problem. I'm using Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6.0. I did try using Netscape Firefox and Mozilla. Still not getting into the site. The site I'm trying to get into has domain server as WSC1.JOMAX.NET. I don't seem to have any problems getting on any other websites. I'm wondering if there is a code in the website that my computer doesn't recognize. I think they used Website Tonite 3.0 to build the website. I have already asked the webmaster and they don't have a clue.

I'm not much of a computer expert so any assistance/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

KayaK

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
piggyprobe, find your HOSTS file. It should be located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Open it. Your computer will ask you what to open it with. Tell it notepad. Copy the contents and paste it here.

As for your Windows update problem, someone else had a very similar problem and it was resolved after a cleaning by Trend Micro's online virus scan. Even though you may have been scanned by everything else, try Trend Micro. Have it do a Virus + Security scan. Disinfect or delete everything it finds. If it does find some junk, please restart your computer and attempt to install the update again. Also try going to the websites that aren't working. Let me know the results of the scan.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
get this - I can't find the system32 folder. I even search my hard drive for teh HOSTS file. It found an include for SpyBot but not the actual HOSTS file.

during the Trend Micro Scan, McAfee detected something called Exploit-ObscuredHtml Trojen Horse I let McAfee do a scan, and during that scan, the same trojen was found. McAfee & Trend Micro did not find any threats!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty, let's try searching for and repairing any damaged or missing system files. To do this, you will need your XP CD. Insert it, and then follow the directions below:

Go to Start, Run and type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes and with a space between sfc and /scannow

Also let's run chkdsk. Go to Start, Run and type "chkdsk /f /r" (without the quotes and with a space between chkdsk, /f, and /r. This one will run on reboot and will take a while...you'll need to accept the option by typing Y when prompted to schedule the check on boot.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I've done that as well. the Windows Update download that won't install is the last part to get me completely updated to SP2.

Advertisements

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

get this - I can't find the system32 folder. I even search my hard drive for teh HOSTS file. It found an include for SpyBot but not the actual HOSTS file.

If your system32 directory wasn't there, you wouldn't be booting into windows. :tazz:

Go ahead and hit [Start > Run > Input (without quotes) "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" ]

A window will come up asking what to open it with. Like Wiz said, open it with notepad. Then post the contents of it here.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
this is the entire hosts file:

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Your HOSTS is fine. This problem has got me stumped! :) I'm gonna contact someone else to help you.

Sorry :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi piggyprobe...

computerwiz12890 asked if I would look in on your problem. I need to ask you a few questions...

What AV programs are you running? I slipped a peek at your HJT log and I see signs of Norton and McAfee. Have you uninstalled Norton at some point and installed McAfee? Do you have others running now?

Are you running a firewall...if so, which one? Are you running more than one?

Try downloading Internet Explorer 6 SP1 from here and install it.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I'm using Sygate firewall along with the Microsoft fire wall.

I had norton installed at one time, but when my subscription ended I started with McAfee. Not sure what you mean by AV...

I am currently running SP2, and since I'm at work right now I'll have to wait until later - will installing SP1 become an issue?