Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Emachines_suck

Emachines_suck

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi. im looking to play battlefield 2. but I think that my current graphics card cant handle it. i knew for a fact it couldnt at first. but then i installed a few updates from the intel site and it seems to have worked wonders. i currently have the newest version of Intel® 82845G Graphics controller. it handles rome total war pretty well and even barbarian invasion. but I need a 128 mb graphics card to play it and i have a sneaky feeling mine isnt upto that. so i took it to my local computer store, which said they couldnt even put a new card in cause the ports wernt right. so i was wondering what options i have of getting that 128 mb card. only thing i can think of is more updates.

thanks if you can help

Ryan

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if you don't have an agp or pci-x port available then there isn't much you can do. newer games like bf2, cod2, fear just wont work with built in graphics.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
a regular pci port will do as well if you can find a regular pci graphics card like the radeon 9200 pci

if your motherboard has the necessary slots then you'll find that a graphics card will improve performance greatly

Emachines_suck

Emachines_suck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
um... how do i find out what port i have?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
look on your motherboard, towards the bottom. this pic for reference:

http://i19.photobuck...rce/AGPSlot.jpg

Emachines_suck

Emachines_suck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hmmm... guess its time for a stiff upper lip and a steady hand with a screw driver, isnt there another way of looking? cause to be honest i dont even know where to find th emother board :tazz:

Edited by Emachines_suck, 29 October 2005 - 12:50 PM.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I don't think there's anything that you can install that will detect that. your motherboard is pretty much the first thing you see when you open up the case. its the flat thing that has everything else stuck to it. you don't have to take anything out, just look for a brown slot and any available white slots. if i can find a good diagram i'll annotate it for you :tazz:

Emachines_suck

Emachines_suck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok thanks, so i open the case up at the back of the tower right?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Use cpu-z, google it download it run it, it will tell you what you want to know.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have a program that will help, I have helped out many many many people.

My name should say trusted tech but they say im not on geekstogo enough.....

:)

Download this program called pcwizard it really owns, people will start referring to use it after I post this. I bet.

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

after you install it there will be a menu to the left, click the icon that says mainboard when you roll your mouse over it.

It will list everything you need to know about your pc and what slots/busses you have.

:tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would stick with cpu z, you will find it easier its much simpler to find the info you want and doesnt need installed.

Emachines_suck

Emachines_suck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok i have run the scan by cpu-z, what infmation would you liek to know?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
They are both good I have both programs.

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
The motherboard brand/model would be the needed info. If it doesn't give it to you.... I assume you have an eMachine? What model? If it's not an eMachine, what brand is it and what model?

Emachines_suck

Emachines_suck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
its ok... i sorted out my problem. i cant get a new graphics card.... so its either a newmotherboard or new cmputer. but im also looking into building a computer, so expect me to be posting more oftern :tazz: