Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem stopped working after update

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
A friend of mine has an EMachine, Windows XP SP2, 1.7 processor, with a problem. IT would not get on line, so I ran WINSOC SP Fix, restarted and it fixed it. However in my haste, I opened BigFix and it said that a newer driver was out for the modem, SmartLink, so I downloaded it, but we were chatting away and I clicked to installed it while the machine was still on line. Ooops.

After restarting it did not see the modem and I had to roll back the driver. Now it sees that it is a SmartLink, but will not connect. Checked the phone line, card, ran a modem test ( it says it's working fine), but still no connection. I do hear a click in the computer, but no dialing.

If I delete the driver from the device manager and reinstall it from the CD, will it fix it?

Everything on the EMachine says the modem is fine.

Any help is welcomed, :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that sounds like a valid option..try uninstalling the device all together (as in physically removing it) and reinstall it and let windows detect it

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
thanks for your help. Wasn't thinking about removing the modem, but that makes sense too. Hope it works.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:tazz: Thanks for the help. I used a USB ethernet adapter to access the internet and went to Windows Update Page. They had a update for the modem driver, which I downloaded, restarted and everything is working fine.

Lesson Learned. Never install an update to driver while device is running.

Thanks again