Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

not really sure

• Please log in to reply

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Ok so a friend of mine has a Dell 4600 and when he came in this morning it didn't power on. I put a new power supply on it and got one beep and a LOUD click then everything shut back off. Any ideas on what may be causing this? Everything was fine the day before. My first instinct was that it was just a HDD failure of some sort. I am going to put the HDD into one of my computers and see what happens. Just wanted to check here first. Thanks again!!

Advertisements

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
A friend of mine had the same problem, I checked the USB slots and someone tried to put a USB in the wrong way and broke the guard, bending the pins which grounded the system. Just straighten them out and it worked fine. Don't know if this is what happened to the laptop, but it's an idea

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

A friend of mine had the same problem, I checked the USB slots and someone tried to put a USB in the wrong way and broke the guard, bending the pins which grounded the system. Just straighten them out and it worked fine. Don't know if this is what happened to the laptop, but it's an idea

it's actually a desktop but I'll check that out..thanks

edit: little more info: The HD starts to spin up and as soon as it does that's when the system dies. Should I just go ahead and put it into a diff machine and see what it does?

Edited by dnbfreak, 28 October 2005 - 09:47 AM.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'd suggest going with the standard method of trying to boot with just the motherboard, video card and RAM (everything else removed). If it boots to BIOS OK, try reattaching components one at a time until you identify which one is causing your problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
was this loud click accompanied by any bad smells?

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

was this loud click accompanied by any bad smells?

no bad smells.

I'll try to see how if it boots to bios without any devices powered and see what happens

ok so I tried that and I got one beep followed with a shut down.

Edited by dnbfreak, 31 October 2005 - 09:22 AM.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
hiya,
A mother board burnin falure? possiblly

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
so..basically if it's still under warranty I should just have him send it in?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I put a new power supply on it and got one beep and a LOUD click then everything shut back off. I am going to put the HDD into one of my computers and see what happens. Just wanted to check here first. Thanks again!!

Howdy:

Odds are, you just wiped out any warranty they may have had left by opening the case and replacing the power supply !!

Murray