Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MOV files in Windows Movie Maker

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

eaglet

eaglet

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
The video I have downloaded from my digital camera is in MOV format which Windows Movie Maker does not seem to support. Is there a way of converting the video to a format that WMM likes or do I have to use a different editor? :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.arboretum...v/hav_main.html

Image clips can be imported or captured from a FireWire DV camera using remote machine control, then easily organized along the timeline to make movies.

Dragging video or still clips on top of each other creates instant real-time dissolves - clicking on the resulting connection graphic brings up a selection of fully editable real-time video compositing and transition tools such as dissolve, wipes, zoom...
The software gives you access to the whole range of QuickTime video effects (See Features for details), including edge detection, emboss, film noise, and color tint are available and can be applied to any video clip; a real-time video effects preview box takes the guesswork out of adjusting effect parameters. Supported formats are dv, mov, mpeg-4, jpg, tiff, gif and more by means of the program's built-in QuickTime format translator.

eaglet

eaglet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Keith, I've just been on their site and it appears this download is for Mac users. I'm running Win XP.

Edited by eaglet, 29 October 2005 - 02:23 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry about that

I can only see shareware for this, plenty of players only

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

There is a great free tool for converting quicktime MOV to AVI. It is called Rad Video Tools and you can check it out here:

http://www.videohelp...Rad_Video_Tools

I have used it before with success and recommend it! Once the mov's are converted to AVI, you should have no problems importing them.

Cheers,
Tom

The video I have downloaded from my digital camera is in MOV format which Windows Movie Maker does not seem to support. Is there a way of converting the video to a format that WMM likes or do I have to use a different editor? :tazz:

eaglet

eaglet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Tom. That's exactly what I was after. :tazz:

mrwaxer.co.uk

mrwaxer.co.uk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I am having exactly the same problem, but I have downloaded RAD Video Tools - and I successfully converted the file from .mov to .avi but it says in WMM "ChristmasTime.avi could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted." Why is this happening???

I have a M1033 Kodak camera and I need to upload it to WMM. Is there any other movie making program (ideally FREE) that can accept .mov files and is either the same or better than Windows Movie Maker.

P.S - In case you didn`t know WMM stands for Windows Movie Maker

<marquee>I have looked everywhere and even asked the pro`s but still I DON`T KNOW!!!! :) </marquee>

:)

Thanks,

James - www.mrwaxer.co.uk | [email protected]

chikapee

chikapee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
No need to convert your MOV files into AVI

Here is how you can do that...

Renatal

Renatal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
did not work for me :)

got to convert but the quality is very :)

any ideas?

ellliot

ellliot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The new version of WindowsLIVE Movie Maker supports AVCHD and .mov. Only 2 or 3 days old! For Vista & W7 only. Appears to work fine in 64 bit.

Edited by ellliot, 08 September 2009 - 11:53 AM.

Advertisements

steveSmiles

steveSmiles

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm not sure why this worked for me but it has so far. Hope it works for you
I'm using version WMM 6.0
First assosiate .mov files with windows media player.
Right click one of the .MOV files and select open with media player then select do this for all other .mov files.
CHECK ONE of the files plays double clikc and it should open in WMM ( NB you may get a warning click try and it should play)

Then open windows movie maker

I found I could not click and drag .mov fiels into WMMaker.
I right click on the file and select copy, then in the thumbnails area of WWMaker I right click and select paste. A thumb nail appears.

I can't drag them onto the time line so I right click again and select Add To Timeline and it does.
DO NOT ADD ANOTHER CLIP.
I then publish this single clip as a movie to my video folder.

I ave tried publishing multiplke clips as a single movie but the computer freezes so by publishing individual clips I have convereted each clip into a Win Media File.

Although a bit fiddly this work around means I can then re import these convereted clips all together usinf WMMaker and creat my final movie.

hope this wokrs for you too. I have reacreated the above numerouse occcasions and two differnet laptops so am sure it wasn't just a fluke on the one.

inapaler

inapaler

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Media Player codec pack. you need that for you to play mov files in your media player its free.
its much better than converting it to other format. :)

good luck

Programmer101

Programmer101

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I know a converter program, it worked for me. Search Pazera on google

Joseph1

Joseph1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
What about crop video i prefer use VidCrop.It's prog for crop video)It's helps me alot.)

kiward

kiward

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks steve. It works!!!

see that:
- partie 1 :
- partie 2 :