Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows password

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Is there any way to add password protection to windows startup in addition to the one that comes standard? I'm trying to help out a friend whos brothers keep using safe mode to get around the password and change it. If anyones got any helpfull info, it would be appriciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if he is using safe mode, he is likely dropping into the admin account and changing the password that way--simple solution

change the admin password

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or put a bios password in..then he can't even get through post without it

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i knew he was using admin but it wont show me admin in order to change it. also... how does this bios password work?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i knew they were using admin, but it wont let me see admin in order to change the password. and how does this bios password work?

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

i knew he was using admin but it wont show me admin in order to change it. also... how does this bios password work?

That's becuase he's using SafeMode to access the admin account, which is hidden in normal mode

BIOS password is enabled on bootup of computer; depending on your system you can press the DEL key, or F1, F2 to get into the BIOS and find the security area and you can set a BIOS password, but remember, there are ways around that as well - it would likely be harder for this person to "break in" if you just go to the safe mode, log in as the admin, and change the password in Control Panel/User Accounts

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
here are some relatively generic bios password instructions

http://www.lockdown....spsw&s=articles

here's some for the admin password
http://www.amherst.e...p/admin_pw.html

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Bios password can be bypassed very easily. o.o

cheers

not_napster

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
yup. its very difficult to protect a computer from someone who has local access to it

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're right...a bios password can be bypassed...a windows password can be bypassed, and a screen saver password can be bypassed.but...if they bypass the bios password...you will know for sure that they have..