Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random Black Screen Issues

• Please log in to reply

spyderxz7

spyderxz7

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay. I'll start out from the beginning. About 2 months ago I was using my computer when suddenly the screen went black. I then got a message from them monitor saying "No Signal", so I rebooted and everything worked fine. I didn't think much of it. A few days later, it happened again -- a reboot solved the problem again. And ever since, the problem has become much more frequent. It's gotten so bad that most of the time I cannot boot. It will show the POST screen then the Windows XP boot screen then poof, black screen. That's if I'm lucky. Sometimes it goes black before I even get to the POST screen. Also, randomly when this occurs it will also reboot, although this is rare.

My first thought was a faulty video card, so I replaced it with a new eVGA Geforce 6600GT about a week ago. Everything was fine for almost the entire week, and then yesterday I was unable to boot with the same results as I mentioned above. I booted up and was involuntarily sent to the BIOS settings screen where I had an error message that said that my system hung for an extended amount of time due to an improper CPU speed setting. Then it said to make sure that the hardware recommended speed corresponded to the bios settinsg, which it does. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ which runs at 1.733ghz, which is exactly what setting I have in the BIOS. Just to be safe, I underclocked my CPU to 1.3ghz, and it seems (never really know because the black screen can be quite random) to be okay now. I talked to a friend of mine and he said that the problem is not likely to be my processer and more likely a hardware conflict between 2 or more other devices that have this result. So, what's the problem?

I would really appreciate some help here; I can't even get any schoolwork done.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you install the drivers for the video card from the CD or from Nvidia, maybe updated drivers are worth a look

http://www.nvidia.co...ge/drivers.html

spyderxz7

spyderxz7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Forgot to mention that. I had both the latest drivers for my old video card which I replaced and the new one I am currently using which leads me to believe that the problem does not lie in the cards. Maybe the AGP slot, but not the cards.

Edited by spyderxz7, 28 October 2005 - 02:29 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Take the necessary precautions and check it is installed correctly

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310126

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;295322

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

After checking keiths sugestions if the problem continues try drivercleaner and remove all drivers that relate to video then reinstall the drivers.

Please list your full system specs, temps and voltages.

Rick

spyderxz7

spyderxz7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys,

thanks for all the suggestions. unfortunately I have not been able to post until recently. turns out the problem was my power supply -- after my PC rebooted I opened it up and noticed the power running into the mobo had about 1/3 of black and brown burnt connectors.