Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

Maxam56

Maxam56

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I turn on my comp, it loads xp fine and gets my all the way to my account login. After I type in my password and hit enter, shiz starts to hit the fan. First off, it takes much longer to load than usual, and once it does load, my start bar just barley pops up before it is frozen in place. After that, the all-to-popular "explorer.exe has encountered an error and must close". Then it gives you the opption to send or not send. Once i go throught that, I have no explorer.exe, of course. I have tryed many different approaches, which are as follows: I have run a virus scan using Norton Antivirus, I have run a scan using Microsoft Antispy, I have used numurous registry cleaners and I have deleted the game file that seems to have caused the problem. I have no issues running other programs that i know work, like firefox or other games. Please let me know what i might try, or other information you might need to help me.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it is a recent development

How to Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

If it isn't a recent development

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

If it shows the wallpaper without the icons, press ctrl + alt + del keys together, if you get task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe then press enter, if this then gives you the desktop

Open the CD ROM Drive used to install Windows, insert the XP CD but leave the drawer open. Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, then close the CD ROM Drive drawer, You will get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot. This will check for and replace missing or corrupt system files.