Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Cannot complete the cd writing wizard"

• Please log in to reply

loush7

loush7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Everytime I try to burn my photos to a blank CD-RW I have an error message which says "Cannot complete the cd writing wizard".
I have installed Roxio Photosuite 5 which come with my camera but it makes no difference. I'm so deperate to save my photos on CD so I can wipe them off my camera (to take more pictures).
I hope someone can help me!

Thanks.

:tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G loush7

What software are you using to burn CDs with?
Can you confirm that you are using CDRWs as opposed to normal CDRs?

loush7

loush7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, thanks for reply!

Well to be honest I have no seperate cd burning software, I assumed that Roxio photosuite 5 would have everything on their cd. You see with my last camera and software I never had a problem burning the photos, I was even able to add on photos to a CD-R at different times. This time round with my new camera im using CD-RW because I thought that the error message was to do with the cds I was using before.
Do you think maybe I need to buy a cd burning software? Or do you think maybe I have a problem with my cd drive?

Thanks.

Loush7.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think you would be better off using CDRs to start with, instead of CDRWs, but if you can, try a couple of different brands of CDR just in case.
You're right, it could be the software thats the problem, if you have access to any other CD Writing software then I would trying installing that instead. The problem could also be the blank CDRs themselves or the actual CDRW drive, as you suggested.

Before you do anything though, just check these things :

1. Make sure that you have disabled as many of the programs that run in the background as possible (e.g the icons that appear in the system tray next to the clock)

2. Make sure you're not running any other applications at the time e.g internet explorer etc

3. I assume you are transferring the photos from camera to hard drive first before burning, right? Make sure you have plenty free disk space & defrag the hard drive

4. If the software you are currently using gives you any option to do so, then try letting it create an image file first instead of burning the photos to CD on the fly.

5. Also try lowering the burning speed (depending on the speed of yur computer, try 4x or 8x)

6. Try disabling power management as well in windows.

loush7

loush7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi SAMM,

You are a star! Thank you so much, I've just followed the steps on your reply and after defragmentating the file I have successfully downloaded my pictures. I also used my CD-R (which was gonna be chucked away at one point) just like you suggested.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

loush7.

:tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Glad to hear you've fixed it! It's always worth starting with the basic troubleshooting stuff :tazz: