Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe using about 50 CPU

• Please log in to reply

garnet

garnet

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Recently, when I open the Windows Task Manager and look at Processes, the CPU percentage next to explorer.exe is almost always around 50. I'm not as computer savvy as I should be, but I do know that it shouldn't be that high. This does not happen when I immediately start up the computer, but it does reach that level after the computer has been left on for about an hour. After this happens, my computer will be incredibly slow, and whenever I try to open a window such as "My Computer", it will crash or I will get a Runtime Error. Basically, the computer will not want a window like My Computer to stay open for more than a couple minutes.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me in solving this problem as it is greatly annoying. Thanks so much!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Sounds like you have an infection. Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting. If your problem is resolved by a malware expert, let me know. I always like to know the results :tazz: .

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 October 2005 - 07:53 PM.

garnet

garnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks so much! Will do!