Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

02B2 Error

• Please log in to reply

BBOM

BBOM

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently located some old 5 1/4 floppies with some info I wanted to recover. I run Windows98 Standard Edition. I have a new (ha!) 5 1/4 Disk Drive that I decided to install as a as third floppy drive to recover these disks and tranfer to newer media. I have a 3 1/2 1.44 (Drive A). a 3 1/2 120mb (SuperDisk - Drive B), CD/DVD ROm (Drive D). I have an external HD and burner which probably have nothing to do with the problem.

CD (Drive D) and Hard Drive are on the same ribbon cable. Drive A had its own cable so I bought a new cable with a second connector for the (new) 5 1/4 drive. The drive was installed on the first connector and Drive A connected to the end terminal.

When I rebooted, the new drive was not recognized and I receive an Error 02B2 - Incorrect Drive Type A - Run Setup. In Setup everything SEEMS to be OK with appropriate drive designations. Changing the boot sequence doesn't change anything. By hitting ESC the boot continues.

I decided to transfer my data to the external HD, FDISK, Partition, and Format the HD and Logical Drives and use default BIOS Values to "get rid of the error". NOT!!

Then the fun begins - Drive A is still not recognized (or, at least the error is still there!). I can run no disks on Drive A. I have a bootable CD but WIN98 freezes during SETUP. As soon as the display "SETUP IS NOW COPYING FILES IT NEEDS.....) completes, everything dies in place with the hourglass cursor still happily blinking. The DRIVE A light stays on - no others are active during the freeze. I have watched for > an hour, rebooted, restarted ad infinitum.

In addition to the above I have checked the power supply, all ribbon cable connections, blown dust, had my hard drive tested - OK - (removed the 5 1/4 drive, of course), replaced the ribbon cable with the original, disconnected everthing and reconnected one at a time, checked the CMOS battery - OK - time and date are stable. Played games with F1/SETUP, went back to original defaults. I have attempted but cannot get to Safe Mode - (don't see any clues when or what key to hit)

I did not realize that WIN98 would not recognize the older drive but have been told that Win95 or Win3.1 would have done so - I don't know.

My questions - How can I get rid of the ERROR 02B2 and get Drive A working?
What next to try to reinstall Win98?

I only have Win3.1 on 3 1/2 floppies (as soon as everythign is running I will put it on CD).
I can't load DOS to install Windows over that.

I have a repair disk which will boot and start Win98 Installation but doesn't go beyond the freeze and I can't manually install the files from that CD.

Any suggestions - would be most appreciative!!

BBOM

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hiya welcome to g2g

Error 02b2 is a message usually indicating that your floppy disk drive is improperly configured or identified by your system. Usally to fix this problem windows has to be up and running so thet rules this one out. But to get rid of the error if you had a windows instaled you would run your setup program and then change the floppy drive identified to the floopy drive to match yours. I am currentlly working on your other problem... It sounds as if you might have a bad power supply or a bad windows 98 cd if it stops at the same spot each time try to find a diffrent cd and see if it works.

BBOM

BBOM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks finehout!

The power supply was the first thing I had checked by a (Pro) tech and it checked out OK. From your reply I assume what I am now seeing in the SETUP floppy details are the 'leftovers' from when Win98 was still alive and it really doesn't matter much what I change (???) here -- until I get Win98 up - nothing really changes. Is that correct?

when my HD was checked out the tech told me there were some problems in the some of files structure - this might have been a 'leak' from a bad Win98 CD??

My machine just laughs at me when I try to install Win95. I'll beg another Win98 CD and see what happens - this might take a day or two. Maybe if it installs then I can really screw up F1/SETUP!!

Meanwhile I'll keep checking back here for additional info.

Thanks again - and for the Welcome!

BBOM

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
You could try and re-format it and see what happens when you re install windows 98.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You can do whatever you want and you won't get the 5.25 to be recognized as long as you have the equivalent of 3 floppy drives on your system !! Drive A can only be ONE 3.5 or 5.25 drive and Drive B can only be one drive..

If you want to use the 5.25, then you will have to unplug the 3.5 and boot into BIOS and make the 5.25 the A: drive, or remove the SuperDisk in Drive B and go into BIOS and set the 5.25 as Drive B..

Murray

BBOM

BBOM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Howdy:

You can do whatever you want and you won't get the 5.25 to be recognized as long as you have the equivalent of 3 floppy drives on your system !! Drive A can only be ONE 3.5 or 5.25 drive and Drive B can only be one drive..

If you want to use the 5.25, then you will have to unplug the 3.5 and boot into BIOS and make the 5.25 the A: drive, or remove the SuperDisk in Drive B and go into BIOS and set the 5.25 as Drive B..

Murray

BBOM

BBOM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This might get posted twice! My apologies.

Finehout - Thank you.

I do plan to reformat and clean out the dregs as soon as I can get to Win98. As things are, it hasn't helped.

Murray S.

Another day - another learning session!! I wasn't aware of that drive limitation. If I ever knew it didn't stick - wasn't important then 'Tis now. I THINK I understand why the limitation (not really). Is it true that WIn98 would not recognize the 5 1/2 drive no matter what but that Win3.11 or Win95 would??

I have read everything I can on these forums about questions I may have. Though this is my first Post, I appreciate very much the time and effort you guys obviousy take to help us ignoramuses and we owe you. As a teacher in a profession, I know that the greatest gratification is to know that what you 'give' is really a 'take' and the Oak Leaf is to watch it flourish. Thanks to all of you.

BBOM

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Win98 should recognize it no problem but BIOS would have to be setup first as well..

Murray

BBOM

BBOM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Murray,

Thanks for the heads-up. Setup BIOS according to your earlier suggestion? (Removing one of the 3 1/2s etc...?). Getting some of the data from the old disks could make it worth the trouble of temporarily unplugging a 3 1/2, changing BIOS, retreiving the info, changing BIOS back, and replacing the 5 1/4 with the 3 1/2. Would that be the sequence?

If so, I'll try to get new Win98 installed and work on this next couple of days.

Thanks again.

BBOM

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That's exactly how you would do it.. Just make sure though, if you are swapping the 5.25 with the 3.5 (a: drive), that you change BIOS to reflect a: drive is now a 5.25 drive rather than a 3.5 !!

Murray

BBOM

BBOM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
From a new Win98 CD I attempted to install Win98 but the feeze occured same as before. Maybe this doesn't make sense but I reformatted and tried again - same result. I Fdisked, formatted, again tried to install - same result. I Fdisked again and moved the Active DOS partition to the second partition, tried to install Windows - frozen out again. I may be making the same mistake over and over but I don't recognize it and I don't know what the next logical step is. (Maybe just junk the machine - o:( - I really don't want to do that!)

I don't believe the Windows CDs are at fault. From motherboard to BIOS to DOS to Installation Wizard - I can't figure it yet. Everything goes smoothly until the Installation Wizard 'starts'. Copying the files it 'needs' seems to go OK but the next function dies.

Thanks for your help so far - any other suggestions? I don't see anything awry in BIOS - could be, though - I haven't worked with it enough to feel secure so I may not recognize it - especially since I don't know what NORMAL really is.

BBOM

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. not sure how we went from 3 floppy installs to installing Windows but...

First of all, let's do a step by step..

1: First boot device is set to floppy (a: drive) 3.5" ??

2: Boot floppy (where did you get it from) in floppy drive and system started ??

3: Using "start with cd-rom support" option""

4: Once at a:> prompt, running fdisk to set a Primary DOS partition ??

5: Rebooting when prompted and getting back to a:> prompt??

6: Formatting the hdd using ONLY a format c: command??

7: Once formatted, leaving boot floppy in, putting Windows cd into cd-rom drive and booting using the "start with cd-rom support" option when prompted??

8: Changing from a:> prompt to cd-rom drive prompt..

9: Typing in setup and letting Windows install??

Have you disabled the on-board boot anti-virus program in BIOS??

Murray

BBOM

BBOM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Murray,
Scrap the third-drive for now - Maybe I can attack that after I get my machine up and
running, following your suggestions.
Let me see if I can give an accurate picture:

1. First boot drive set to a:drive , 3.5 floopy? YES

2. Using Windows 98 Startup Disk, boot drive from floppy and system started. NO

System still does not recognize a: drive, 02B2 Error still present in System Messages.
Haven’t been able to set this in BIOS i.e. - Select a: as 3.5 Floppy 1.44/1.25 option, nothing
happens. ******** Remainder of your protocol moot at this point. However:

1. Turn machine on with CD (2000 Utilities from PCBeginner.com) in CD drive, system
boots to dialog with choice of : Boot to DOS and Restart, or Windows Installation (95,
98, ME, 2000, XP, or NT). This CD creates a virtual a: drive..

2. Either choice eventually brings up dialog “Insert Windows (98) CD".

3. Insert Windows 98 CD.

4. Enter or type Setup

5. B/W dialog = Setup Initializing. Performing routine check of your system.

6. Enter

7.ScanDisk runs = No errors.

8. B/W dialog = Copying files setup needs.........

9. Color = Windows98 Setup screen
Preparing to run Windows Setup
Windows dialog box = Welcome, etc............

Everything's going fine!!

Click ‘CONTINUE”

10. Windows 98 Setup dialog box = Windows is preparing WIndows 98 Setup Wizard
etc.........Hourglass cursor appears, system dies, non-blinking

I can find nothing in F1/Setup/BIOS referencing an antivirus program. I assumed McAfee
was killed when I FDISKed and FORMATTED way back. Maybe I’m looking in wrong
place.

Thanks,

BBOM

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Depending on your BIOS, there will be a Trend on-board av program in there somewhere..

Murray

wmebjr

wmebjr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Murray,

This will probably be logged in under another ID but BBOM and WMEBJR are me.

Anyway, can find no av program , TREND, or otherwise anywhere in BIOS.

The way we got from three drives to Windows 98 was, when I attempted to load the 5.25 floppy drive, it obviously didn't work - so I removed it but then the Error 02B2 appeared and I couldn't get rid of it . I thought by reformatting it would clear up. NOT. AND, I have not been able to reactivate the a: drive through BIOS Setup. Without a: drive for a Windows StartUp disk, I couldn't get anywhere and could not get to b: drive at that point. I had the PCBeginner 2000 Utilities disk which would boot from CD and get to a Windows Installation dialog, either via a direct command and insert the Win98 disk, or through a Reboot to DOS and then a comand, 'Insert the Win 98 disk'. I tried everything I knew but the Setup continued to freeze at the same point.

Finally, using the repair CD to boot, I went to the command 'Reboot to DOS" but this time I inserted the Windows CD BEFORE entering the command. I then clicked ENTER and it booted directly to Windows Setup on the 98 disk. From there the installation went smoothly. Windows is running fine, the b: drive Super Disk and CD-ROM drive are working well but the error is still there and a: drive is still not working

I have rechecked the ribbon cables, BIOS, boot sequence, etc. but no luck. I can do without the drive but would rather not, though the b: drive will read 3.5/1.44 floppies. While everything is still fresh I will create a recovery method so I won't go through all this again but would still like to recover the a: drive, if you have any suggestions. I just don't know of a way to change the type - I haven't been able to do it through BIOS - at least, not yet.

Sorry for the longwindedness but I went through the details above just in case it may help someone else who gets into a similar mess which could have been totally avoided had I known that only ONE a: drive and ONE b: drive could exist in my setup.

Thanks very much for all your help - I learned a lot - even if it doesn't show.

BBOM