Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pmnnl.dll - what is it?

• Please log in to reply

ginner51

ginner51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
After searching around on the Geek website, I found another post that was similar to mine. I posted my problem in the Internet and Browser section to see if they could help. MikeFromNY responded. I posted the contents of the Host file so that he could look at it. I didn't mean to "double-dip", but I wasn't sure if this was the area you help in. Do you ever work in conjunction with people in the other areas?

Advertisements

ginner51

ginner51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I got a message from MikeFromNY on the other post that I have. He had me change my hosts file to the following:

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

I can access the one particular website that I couldn't get onto earlier. I asked him if I should just leave it that way and try it for a while, and he replied:
"Problem being I'm not sure what the original problem was and the reason for downloading the hosts file, so I would take it up with the person who told you to download that host file (the long one) and see if it'd be okay to keep it that way." I don't mean to be playing you off the other, but like I said, I wasn't sure if this was in your area.

What do you think I should do?

Wizard

Wizard

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,661 posts
Thats fine,I would have done the same thing!

The Hosts File is obviously not for everyone.

One way to Secure the Original Microsoft Hosts File is to use a Program called the Hoster

Download the Hoster from here:
http://www.funkytoad...load/hoster.zip

Since you have allready restore the Hosts File to the original state.

The function in the Hoster I suggest using is to Make the Hosts File "Read Only"

This basically locks the Hosts File from any changes that could be made.

ginner51

ginner51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
So, do you suggest that I download the Hoster file and replace what I'm using now with that? I was a little confused. If so, do I do it like you told me before, right click on the etc file and copy the new file into it to where it replaces what I have there now? Sorry, but this is just not my area of expertise and I don't want to do it wrong.

Wizard

Wizard

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,661 posts
Sorry,I was pretty tired last night.

Mike allready had you modify the Hosts File and it appears to be what was blocking you from that site!

Thats fine,the Hoster is actually uneeded since we can do this manually!

Navigate to this location--> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Open the ETC folder and locate the file labeled hosts.

Right Click the hosts file and select properties.

Look towards the bottom and place a check in the box by "Read-only" and then click Apply and OK.

Now,what this has done for you,is made the hosts file a Read-only file and should prevent any future changes.

I hope that make sense.

ginner51

ginner51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for everything that you did for me. I did as you asked. Hopefully all will go well in the future!

Wizard

Wizard

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,661 posts
Was a pleasure to be able to help you out!!

Go ahead and Renable System Restore and restart the PC,this will clear out all old nasty restore points and create a nice new fresh clean one for you to fall back on should you ever need it.

Read through those 3 little black links in my signature to get some extra ideas about how to avoid this in the future.

Make sure you keep your Windows Operating System up to date by visiting Windows Updates regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs.

If you ever need us again,you know how to find us! :tazz: