Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD's Not Playing Correctly

• Please log in to reply

sbrnsouth

sbrnsouth

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I have a Samsung SD-616T DVD Rom installed on my system.

When I try to play a DVD, whether in PowerDVD (Installed by Dell) or Windows Media Player 10, the DVD is played in an accelerated mode. It will play normally for a moment then it speeds up as if I was forwarding through it.

I have tried looking for driver updates and gone through the built in troubleshooter on my system, but am having no luck figuring out what the problem is. Could it be that I need to run a lens cleaner in the drive?

I'm clueless at this point, and would like to avoid having to buy a new DVD Rom if at all possible. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Does the DVD-rom play other disks ok? For example, can you play a music CD and does it sound ok? It appears the SD-616T is a discontinued device on Samsung's web page. Cleaning the optical lens periodically is a good idea and certainly worth a try.

sbrnsouth

sbrnsouth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the reply austin o.

Actually, when I play an audio cd in the drive, it has a crackling/popping quality to the sound. I hadn't thought to test that before I posted the original post.

I'll try a lens cleaner to see if that resolves the problem, and then post back after I've done that. I have to go get one, so it'll be a bit later on before I can let you know if that works.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
try using a different software dvd player. when you tested wmplayer, it was using a plugin from powerdvd.

download vlc media player from www.videolan.org

if the same dvd playback problems occur, then we have eliminated that it is a problem with your software. if the problems stop and it works fine with vlc, then its a problem with powerdvd, and ask them for support, but first try reinstalling powerdvd

sbrnsouth

sbrnsouth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the reply thebinaryman.

I ran a new lens cleaner in the device (Samsung SD 616T), and that didn't help. I then downloaded and installed the VLC media player. When I play a dvd with it, the video runs more normally, with some "pulsing" (for lack of a better term) of the image color. The audio is still very choppy.

I played an audio cd in my other device (NEC CD-RW NR-9100A ), and it plays perfectly. I'm starting to think it's the Samsung that is the problem. If you guys, or anyone else, have any other suggestions/ideas, I'll gladly give them a try.

I appreciate your time.