Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Chess programs & P4 HT Processor/XP

• Please log in to reply

vexed

vexed

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

This is not a query for a thermal solution, but a curiosity.

When I invoke a chess program on my new system -see below-, (I tried 2 different small freewares, size 0nly 700 and 1500 KB, the former chessit! by Yoto Yotov) the processor use shoots to 100% and the temperature hits the ceiling, even while the programme is still idle, that is, I haven't made the first move. The moment I shut the program, things return to normal.

Now what vexes me is this kind of processor response. I capture DVI from camera, encode DVDs, play 3D games, burn CDs, rip audio to MP3 in batches etc. and the processor stays cool, the use rarely reaches 100%. Then why this madness with a simple chess programme.

And now get this too - my old pentium 266 with 32 MB RAm and win 95 didn't use up 100% processor capacity with chessit!, nor did my Athlon XP 1800+ with WIN 98 SE and I could comfortably do other things while playing the game

I upgrade to P4 3.2 HT w 2MB cache, DDR 400 2GB, Sata drive and windows XP SP2 on a recommended Intel original board D915GAV with 3 chassis fans and the processor now needs to run at full 85 watts (100%) just to keep a 700 Kb program running in the background ???

Yes I can play the game, but the processor temperature makes me uncomfortable. I can hardly do anything else as the hardware monitor keeps shooting up warnings (I have set the threshold to 70 deg C, that is 2 deg higher than the recommended 68 deg. for the processor)

Yes, I have already tried Intel support. They only have automated responses, even after escalation. The sum total of their advice is that I should probably add another fan.

Will be grateful for some knowledgeable thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Vexed

dilip_mishra@mtnl.net.in

Advertisements

vexed

vexed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Not that I see anyone jumping to reply to my mail above anytime soon but I thought I would add that the behaviour persists even if I try to run the game under win 95 or 98 mode. It also persists with HT mode disabled in the BIOS. So these two options are ruled out.

Under 845 chipset Intel Mother Board BIOSes there is (used to be) an option regarding handling of floating point instructions by the processor. It is not there in the 915 boards. Maybe these games require older type instructions which the new P4 processors are not eqipped to handle ? anyone ? Any workaround ?