Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Cannot copy file: iastor.sys" - Help!

• Please log in to reply

turnbrend

turnbrend

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, here goes..
I am having serious trouble reinstalling windows. My system is:
P4 3.8
1gig ram
MSI 925XE Neo board with Intel 925XE chipset
2 Maxtor 250gig hard drives in RAID 0 (stripped) (i think)

I seem to be missing vital files for the Intel 82801FR SATA RAID controller.
Whats happens is; I run my recovery disk, press F6 to load the controller drivers and insert the floppy. I then choose the SCSI adaptor from the list (82801FR). It then seems to load the file 'iaStor.sys'. After then pressing enter, setup loads some more files then gives me the option to delete the existing partition and then select the unpartitioned space. I then choose to format the partition using NTFS. Then it formats and shows this info;

c/partition 1 (new Raw) 478742 free space
478742 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on iaStor (MBR)

Once the formatting is finished i recieve the message;

Set up cannot copy the file: iaStor.sys
To skip press esc
To quit press F3

When i skip the file it says;
Setup cannot copy the file: iaStor.inf
When i skip this it says;
Setup cannot copy the file: iaStor.cat

If i continue the installation, the pc blue screens when windows boots up.

What the [bleep] is happening here?!? I have mutiple floppies from various sources containing these files (i think) but none of them work.

These are the files i have on the floppies;

iastor - system file - 457kb
iaahci - security catalog - 8kb
iaahci - setup information - 3kb
iastor - security catalog - 8kb
iastor - setup information - 3kb
txtsetup.oem - OEM file
license
readme

I think these are the files i need but they just wont copy. I hope to god that someone can help me with this because i am well and truely stuck. And, as i'm sure i've made obvious, i'm a complete newbie and already feel well out of my depth. All i want to do is play FEAR.....
If anyone can help i'll be very grateful.

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
HIya, Welcom to g2g
That error on instal lussally means the system cannot read the driver disk or files are missing from the disk. Try makeing the disk again on a New disk and see if that solves the problem.

turnbrend

turnbrend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. Thanks for the welcome.
Tried it. Have my original disk, a new one i had sent out a few days ago, plus two i made myself with downloaded files.
The [bleep] thing just isnt taking the files off the floppies.
Incidentally, when i first got this PC it needed the motherboard and hard drives replaced, and at the time i had exactly the same problem installing these drivers. I believe it was finally fixed by installing a differant copy of windows (the tech guy did this) but i have no idea how.
Not good.

turnbrend

turnbrend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
By the way, could this be a problem with the floppy drive? The light does come on and it does makes a sound when in use, but hey, right now i'll consider any option...

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
That Would be my next idea would be to try to install another version of windows.

You could also put the fron the floppy on to a cd-r and run your first bootable device so it boots form your cd drive nd it might work that way.

turnbrend

turnbrend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Just checking: I set to boot from cd first in BIOS right?

turnbrend

turnbrend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh dear. Its already set to boot from cd first.
ARGGH!!!

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
What is it doing?

turnbrend

turnbrend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It is set to boot from cd, then floppy, then HD. When it is time to load the drivers it only accesses the floppy

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Alright i am going to hand this one over to tyger i am out of ides e will be able to fix it for you.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I have no experience in setting up RAID boxes, but it seems to me that you are re-formatting a partitition after you installed the files, which will wipe out the files. Are you trying to make the entire 250gb one partition? Depending on your version of XP, that may not be possible, at least initially. I would say refuse the invitation to remove the partition and reformat and worry about the unpartitioned and unformatted part of the drive later.

If any one else has any ideas they are certainly welcome to chip in here.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Here's another post with similar problems.

http://www.geekstogo...ems-t75331.html

turnbrend

turnbrend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks guys. I'll give it a jazz and get back to you.

turnbrend

turnbrend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nope. Doesnt seem to matter what i do for partitioning, it just keeps coming back with those same files missing. Cant help but think that this might have something to do with the floppy drive. Lights are on, but i've never used it for anything other than this process so i cant be sure there isnt a fault there somewhere. I have these files burnt to cd but it wont look there for the files, it will only run the floppy drive.
Incidentally, my supplier Evesham didnt have a clue what is wrong. After a 2 hour phone call the best they could come up with was to send out a tech guy and a new motherboard and 2 new hard drives. Seems a complete waste as this is precisely the same problem i had when my last motherboard and hard drives were replaced.

turnbrend

turnbrend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ITS FIXED!!! Got it working. I downloaded the six disk windows intaller from -
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=310994
Used it to install windows instead of the installer on my XP disk. Worked a charm. Not quite sure what the differance is though. Seems like the XP cd has something wrong with it, though i have two separate ones from my manufacturer. Seems unlikely that ALL their recovery disks are damaged. Maybe its some kind of conflict with the motherboard or BIOS maybe. Either way... FEAR HERE I COME!!!!
Anyway, thanks guys for your help. It got me on the right track.
Peace, love and boxing gloves