Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new PC won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

ukyo123

ukyo123

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone. I recently bought parts to build up a new computer. The problem is that it won't turn on. When I hit the power button, the processor fan and the power supply fan turn on for a split second, then turn off. Here is what I have tried:

-Tried a working power supply
-Tried other memory
-I even connected the power supply on different power sockets

I can't try the processor on another mobo, or the mobo on another processor because my main PC uses another processor socket. Can anyone give me any tips?

Here are the parts I bought:

-ASRock 775V88+ Socket T (LGA 775) VIA PT880 ATX Intel
-Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3000F
-CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400
-Thermaltake Silent Purepower W0014RU ATX 480W
-eVGA 256-A8-N340-TX Geforce 6600 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X

Advertisements

ukyo123

ukyo123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK guys I have made some progress. The PC turns on, but I still have problems.
It turns on, but nothing shows on the monitor. I tried the video card on my main PC so I know it's not that, I also tried the memory and it's OK. What other things can I try to find the problem?

Edited by ukyo123, 29 October 2005 - 11:06 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you got the Heatsink placed on the cpu properly, have you installed the cpu properly have you connected the motherboard properly. Try it with the minimum of epuipment one stick of ram one HD and use onboard gfx if you have it.

ukyo123

ukyo123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm not home right now, but I'll post the results as soon as I get there.

teh_inquisitor

teh_inquisitor

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Try making sure that all the power cables are plugged in properly, and make sure that when you screw the motherboard in, you put the pins underneath the motherboard and make sure it's grounded. Also putting the screws in firmly but not to hard, screwing a board in too tight can reduce it's functionality and potentially damage the motherboard.

ukyo123

ukyo123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have tried all of that, and still nothing works. I resetted the cmos and when it turns on ther keyboard lights are off, maybe it is not getting any power?
I think the mobo is defective, but I want to be 100% sure before sending it back. Can I try anything else?

teh_inquisitor

teh_inquisitor

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok chances are there's a possibility you might have a defunct BIOS chip. A good idea might be to look on forums about dodgy chips in your type of motherboard. Vendors tend not to like giving out chips, but if you feel confident and it IS the BIOS then a replacement might be a good idea. But bear in mind it could possibly void your warranty! Also if it's not the BIOS chip then you're screwed.

ukyo123

ukyo123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Do you think it's best to get a refund and buy a different mobo or get a replacement?

teh_inquisitor

teh_inquisitor

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't know anything about ASRock, but I do love Abit, they're cheaper than Gigabyte and more reliable than Asus, the choice is really up to you as I can't be sure what the problem actually is, but if you do decide to buy a different mobo, then Abit is my recommendation.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well as last result you could try it out of the case sitting on a bit of card board with the minimal of hardware attached just to see if it will post, if you have a speaker attached it should beep if there is a problem if there isnt any beeps and there is a speaker attached then fair chance its a duff board and you should send it back or get an RMA.

ukyo123

ukyo123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I sent the motherboard back today. Thanks for all your help guys. Now I hope that motherboard didn't mess up my processor :tazz:

mrose902

mrose902

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just put together a new computer yesterday and have an ASROCK socket 939 board. I experienced the same issues, however the strange part is that I was able to install the OS and began to install the mobo drivers when it started to freeze and lag up on me. I ended up turning it off because even on the reboot, it was freezing periodically. From then on, it wouldnt power up until I deattached the temperature monitor which I thought was causing the problems. I hooked all the fans back up and plugged in just the tower and it powered up. Then I hooked it up to everything else and went to turn it on and it didnt do anything...The fans just flicked on for a split second, but the power indicator light on the front remains on. I am hoping it isnt the board...It would sure suck to have to reput this all back together again...Any more info would help. Thanks.