Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

PC Temperatures

• Please log in to reply

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
At what temperature would you recommend running your PC? Do the system specifics have any say as to what temperatures to run?

*Also my PC has been freezing, idle or not, what steps could I take to eliminate the freeze?

--Jack

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Jack

The acceptable temps for the CPU depend a bit on what CPU you have, so it would be helpful if we had your system specs.

As for the freezing problem, this could be caused by a number of things, including overheating. Lets eliminate the overheating possibility first, then we can take it from there.

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Motherboard - Asus A8N-SLI Delux NF4 RTL
CPU - AMD 64 3700+ 939P
RAM- DDR CRSR 512MB X2
Video Card - e-GeForce6800 GT
CPU Fan - Venus 12 (Adjustable fan settings)

Windows XP Professional

Do you need other specifics?

--jack

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Until Samm gets to look at this, could you get the temperatures as well

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then sensor, it will take a minute to show you motherboard and CPU temps, it may also show AUX and hard drive, please post all the temperatures it shows you

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Temperatures:

Motherboard - 47 °C (117 °F)

CPU - 36 °C (97 °F)

GPU - 52 °C (126 °F)

GPU Ambient - 45 °C (113 °F)

Seagate ST3160023A - 43 °C (109 °F)

* What is GPU, GPU Ambient?

--jack

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
GPU = Graphic Processing Unit. Fancy term for your graphics card basically.

Your temperatures are fine on the whole, though whether 52 degrees for the GPU is a touch high I couldn't say.

Freezing problems are often heat or memory. As your system isn't running anywhere near critical temperature, it would be beneficial to google for MemTestx86 and give that a run to eliminate your memory.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I agree with Neil that your temps are very good but I do have one question, I know your HSF and its ajustable as far as fan rpm so at what rpm is the fan running when you get the 36C temp?

Rick

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
jjsmith, I use an ASUS A8N-SLI and with the board, on the drivers and software CD, came a program called "ASUS probe" which allows you to montior all thing such as fan speed, temps, etc in realtime. I would expect that if the plain model of the A8N had it, the Deluxe would have the software as well. if you need it, I can link you to a download, but I assume you have it as long as you have your motherboard's driver CD. If you do have it, install it, and it should provide the easiest way of getting system info.

As far as a good temp with that goes, you look fine in all areas except the GPU. I have an ordinary 6800, not the GT, and it runs 41c idle, and I assume the GT should run at the same, if not slightly higher temps. You may want to look into that- Just a question, can you please get the clock speeds on your card? That'd help me see if that's what's pushing your temps up. Also, you want to make sure that the fan is set to always be on.

Edited by MikeFromNY, 31 October 2005 - 01:01 AM.

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Doby,

4,017 RPM

The temp tends to bounce up and down at this speed but I am sure this is due to the room temperatures in my house.

------------------------

MikeFromNY,

I have been using the Everest Home Edition now and was using AI Booster (Of which intrigued me to look into computer temperatures).

Is there a way to cool the GT 6800 down a little? Or would this seem to benefit me at all? There is a fan attached to the card and is running.

GPU Clock: 351 MHz
Memory Clock: 501 MHz

-----------------------

Neil Jones,

What does the Memtest86 v3.2 actually do? After running for 14.30 hours I gave up wanting to know more.

MikeFromNY

MikeFromNY

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
The clock speeds aren't showing any reason for you to be running that hot... I checked my GPU temps again (I haven't in a few months) and I'm running at 45*c idle with my Core at 350mhz and Memory at 600mhz, so yours should be around the same if not slightly cooler. If you add the coolbits registry key, you should be able to set the "Fan always on" option and we'll see if that cools your GPU down at all, beacuse I'm not always trusting of nVidia's forceware drivers keeping the fan on when the GPU starts to warm up... You could also go with a PCI slot fan which don't usually cost much and can work wonders on cooling down your graphics card. (Admittedly, I don't have one but I plan on picking one up when I can)

This is where you'd find the setting-
Posted Image

Also, I haven't messed with AI booster, but isn't that Asus's active overclocking software? That could possibly be part of the freezing problem.

Edited by MikeFromNY, 01 November 2005 - 12:45 AM.