Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network disk

• Please log in to reply

marknf316

marknf316

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I am trying to set up a network in my home. I currently have a xp system, and a ps2 running on the lan. I am trying to add an old win 98 system. I create set up home networking on my xp, and i created the networking disk. I set the disk so it could be compatible with 98, but when i insert the disk, it says "corrupt file", any suggestions?

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
You can just use the XP install disk. Launch it from '98 and choose [Perform Additional Tasks > Setup a Home or Small Office Network].

It will require 2 or 3 reboots, also be sure to connect to Windows Update when finished (there's a security update for the Win '98 plugin).

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i dont have a cd-rom drive on this computer yet, just the floppy drive. is there no other way to do it without purchasing the cd-rom drive?

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Whoa, that must be ancient! At some stage it would probably be worth picking up a CD-ROM, I see them for $10 or less at computer fairs.

For now though, I will point out that floppies have a much higher failure rate than CDs, both in terms of media and the drives themselves. So you can try creating another setup disk (using different media, another brand preferably) and see if the floppy drive on your '98 machine will accept it.

Failing that, if you are moderately compentent with hardware, I'd suggest that you "borrow" the CD-ROM from your XP machine in order to do the install.

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
haha, it is a little old, but the computer is only used for a few basic programs. That is a good idea about "borrowing" the cd-rom drive, ill give it a try.