Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Antivirus 2004 subscription date

• Please log in to reply

pandra

pandra

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here is tyhe problem. I have Norton Antivirus 2004 under Windows XP professional since september 2004.

Obviously the subscription is over now. I tried to un-install the software whith the windows add/remove tool and after that i deleted all the keys in the windows registry whith "Norton" and "Symantec" (using regedit). Then i tried to install again, but the installation date is still on september 2004.

Does anyone know how do this work?

Advertisements

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Are you trying to re-install the software to receive another 1-year subscription? If so, this is most likely considered software piracy and is not condoned or allowed by these forums.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hello pandra,

Let me ask you a question, are you trying to install an upgrade or other valid purchased copy...or are you trying to reinstall with the same software without purchasing another year?

If you are trying to get around purchasing a new copy or subscription, it can be done but we cannot help you as this site does not condone violating license agreements.

You might try a free antivirus program such as AVG, or a low cost yet great program like Panda. :tazz:

edited: oops looks like someone else answered before I could finish :)

Edited by katkat92, 29 October 2005 - 01:52 PM.

pandra

pandra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK, I must recognize that I tried to do something like that, finally i purchased one more year. But this is still courious for me. How do they know when you installed the software the first time. ¿Is it like a hiden file in the system? or maybe ¿registry key with another name?
At this time it's just curiosity.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Without telling you how to get around it, yes there are hidden files on your computer that tell the program that it was previously installed on such and such date and uninstalled on such and such date.