Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore "Windows and Buttins" to XP

• Please log in to reply

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I downloaded a malware that I succesfully cleaned. I downloaded serveral software packages recommended on this site to remove it. In the process I seemed to clean my taskbar back to classic gray. When I go to Themes under display properties the "Windows XP" theme is there and I have changed it back. When I go to the appearances tab and then to "Windows and Buttons" the only option is "Windows Classic Style".

I have checked Microsft's website for a DL that will restore it but can not find one. I also downloaded every update known to man that they recommended my computer need.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on restoring the "Windows XP" option under "Windows and Buttons" under the appearance tab under "Display Properties."

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes