Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Computer Problems CD/DVD drive and beeping

• Please log in to reply

badlands31

badlands31

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry this is so long but it has to be all explained!

Well this all started last night after i got call of duty 2 (dvd version) Im hoping these problems are all related in someway so please help.

First i had my FEAR(dvd game) in and i took it out of the drive and now things started going wrong..
I put CoD2 in to install the menu screens comes up with the install and all that so i click install and nothing happens then 2 seconds later the menu screen disapears......I then try my start button in the toolbar and it starts flashing randomly and the window keeps flashing also so i cant click anything!! all my programs were like this if i tried to click on a dropdown menu it just disapeared after and my IM windows disapeared also so i couldnt ask my friends for any help. I then restarted with the dvd still in get the normal beep in the post black screen...then i get to my login window and my comp starts beeping like crazy after like a minute i click login and the beeping stops but then i still see my desktop is all messed...still cant open start menu windows continued flashing and the CoD2 menu screen didnt come up so i maybe figured it was the dvd.

Part 2 very odd happenings- I then decide what the heck to stick my fear dvd back in and see if it fixes my comp And guess what!!! it worked my comp went back to normal but also on this start up my toolbar went back to the old gray windows format and same with the windows (i had a custom xp skin) okay everything seems fine fear menu comes up.....i dont click on anything then about 4 min later the menu disapears and my comp starts going on flashing and stuff again!!!! Now i restart once more no beeps at login screen cept the windows login sound gets cut off and my windows are still flashing so i still havent figured this out i guess. Then i put in bf2 (CD) get the menu comp works for a few min until the menu disapears! once again! and it goes scitzo again.

Then i gave up for the night and tried this a few more times today exchanging cds and even trying CoD2 again. I managed to get it to install somehow but then once i got to the game screen (running ingame) i clicked to start a mission and my comp once again froze up so i tried click alt tab and all that and nothing worked i couldnt access my task manager because once i clicked it it disapeared so i restarted. Then after a few more tries i decided to change my cd drive for my other one. Start up and i got the beeping again at the login. And now i am here with bf2 cd in my drive somehow working. Once the menu for bf2 came up i just exited and now my comp works and now im afraid to take cd out or restart again! AHHHH THIS IS A CURSE FROM FEAR!!!!!
:) :woot:

I have a feeling its not the cd drive and i dont think its fear or bf2 because this nvr happened b4 it might be cod2 defect but i dont think it would do this much damage.

Comp specs-
Msi 6800gt
Asus A8V-e Mobo
2 gigs of corsair xms
liteon combo drive
wester digital 200gb hdd

PLEASE HELP ME I BEG OF U!!!!!! :woot: :tazz: :) :woot:

Edited by badlands31, 29 October 2005 - 03:23 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try to go back before the problem with system restore, either from start, help and support, undo changes or use this method

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

If no change

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

Beyond this it is likely to be a hardware fault

The next part is optional

Get Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

badlands31

badlands31

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank You so much i should have just done that in the first place....did a system restore to before i installed fear. Things seem to be working fine right now i have cd in no problems yet. Ill report back in if this starts happening again. Thanks again! :tazz: