Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU overclicking voice

• Please log in to reply

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

I have used my computer for the last 10 months no problems, but this morning I turned it on and I get this audio girl like computer voice saying "your CPU failed over clocking" and it doesn’t turn on. it did it about 5 times then it worked, but when I logged on the resolution had been changed to minimum (not safe mode) so i changed it back, and yeah I’m just scared to turn it off again, Any suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well unless the problem is persistent, it does sometimes happen that there is a random set of circumstances and the problem goes away the next time(if you are lucky, but i guess not many people on here are the lucky kind of people). I would say reset the CMOS, if it still happens update your bios if that doesnt work post back with some specs and we will see what we can do from there.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
im not sure how to do this:
reset the CMOS, if it still happens update your bios.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Also if it does happen again and it never turns on again... where do i go from there? computer repair store? it wont corrupt the harddrives will it? i have 3 of them in an array.

Edited by st22, 29 October 2005 - 04:34 PM.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
To clear the CMOS, turn off the PC at the power point, then (after earthing yourself) remove the small battery on the motherboard for a couple of minutes. When you put it back in and reboot the machine, the factory defaults will have been restored. We can also tell you where to get the latest BIOS but we'll need your system specs for that.

Note that you may have to make a few changes from the default settings in order to boot successfully. Your last post states that you have 3 HDDs in an array, if this is a RAID array you will definately have to make changes (if you don't know what a RAID array is, you probably don't have one).

If it don't boot, it shouldn't corrupt the hard drives.