Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good Print Screen Program

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
After some searching and trying out programs for capturing different areas of the screen, I settled on Printscreen from www.gadwin.com/printscreen. Simple and free. Each area is saved in the folder of your choice.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Pressing Ctrl+Print Screen on the key board is even easyer. You did find the best print screen program out there in my opinion. But I personal don\'t use it because I can do the same with XP with out installing anything.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Pressing Ctrl+Print Screen on the key board is even easyer. You did find the best print screen program out there in my opinion. But I personal don\'t use it because I can do the same with XP with out installing anything.

I don't know how this captures a defined area of the screen and then automatically saves it to a file and do again for a different area. What is it I don't know?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you use alt +print scrn it will save a selected are to the keyboard, such as a popup or window.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

If you use alt +print scrn it will save a selected are to the keyboard, such as a popup or window.

I've tried alt ptr scrn and ctrl prt scrn, but it seems to me both do the same thing as prnt scrn alone, that is printing the whole screen to the clip board which you then have to edit using some picture editor like
Windows Paint. Whereas the softwear Printscreen lets you capture rectangular areas of your choice and save to a file of your choice.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something's wrong there, alt +print scrn should only copy a selected client area.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Something's wrong there, alt +print scrn should only copy a selected client area.

So, what are the exact steps to define an area first?. And where is it saved? Type slowly because I read and think slowly.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Let's say you've opened regedit or internet options, or some application that doesn't take up the whole screen. When you hit alt +print scrn it should copy only the image of the application into the clipboard.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Let's say you've opened regedit or internet options, or some application that doesn't take up the whole screen. When you hit alt +print scrn it should copy only the image of the application into the clipboard.

But with the printscreen program you can precisely select what you want to save and it goes where you want it and then select another area and it is saved with a different name automatically. Much better than just the prt scrn key with or without alt or ctrl. Try it.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Of coures you can do a few more advanced things with a program but most don't need those options. For those that do you have found the best.