Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sector Boot up virus

• Please log in to reply

Tkilla

Tkilla

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm installing a new 80 Gig Western Digital HD onto my Asus P4P800 Deluxe. I have My windows XP disk in on boot up. I've got my boot priorities to check cd rom first then hard drive. I can get through Windows setup and at the end it stops. At one point it said I had a Sector boot up virus. I have no idea what to do, any elp or words of encouragement would be great. thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Install the software to write your hard drive to zeros onto a floppy, otherwise known as a low level format. Disconnect any other hard drives from the system, boot from the floppy and write the drive to zeros. It will put the drive in factory new condition. You can probably get the software from the cd that came with the drive, if for any reason you don't have the cd go to the WD site and install it from there.

Tkilla

Tkilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for your post. . The hard drive came with a disk. When I try to load with it doesn't recognize my hard drive. When I check my bios, it's there as 2nd priority to boot after Cd-rom.

It goes into A:

A:\:echo off
NWCDEX.EXE Version 2.81 CD-ROM file handler.
Copyrights
Driver not found: 'generic'
A:\NWCDEX.EXE requires a Driver name to be specified.
Invalid drive specified
Command or filename not recognized

please help

Tkilla

Tkilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Does anyone know where i can get software that will work?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to make a boot floppy that has the software to write the drive to zeros. You can us any machine to do that, even the one you're on now. You may have to install the WD software on that machine to do it, or you may have to go to the WD website and image the software to a floppy. Then you boot from the floppy. You should be able to change your boot sequence to floppy or cd-rom first, and the cd rom software may work that way. I haven't used it that way. Perhaps someone else has, and can tell us.

Tkilla

Tkilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help Tyger. . . So the last thing I tried was setting my BIos to default. Yea it worked!! Up and running again. thanks again.