Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting a new hard-drive

• Please log in to reply

eamezey

eamezey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all,

Recently my HP Pavilion laptop died, and I had to get it formatted. Annoyingly, after doing so it is still being a pain and cocking up despite nothing being on there. I've come to the conclusion that my hard-drive may well be faulty in some way. It always makes noises that sound as if its trying to work but isn't getting there - and sometimes even makes high pitched beepy noises which sound quite scary. I've always thought that if a hard-drive was broken it wouldn't be able to do anything, but maybe I'm wrong. Whenever I try and re-format, the time it should take to load something in 10 minutes is taking about 3 hours, which is ridiculous.

So basically, I was just wanting to know whether its possible get rid of my old hard-drive, and to buy a new hard drive, and stick it in my laptop, and start a fresh from there. Is that doable or doesn't it work like that? If it is doable, do I need to get a specific hard-drive or are all hard-drives the same size/compatible with any laptop/PC?

Cheers,
Tom

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It depends on the make of laptop

eamezey

eamezey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop is an HP Pavilion zv5000 - does anyone have any idea whether I need a specific hard-drive for it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://h10025.www1.h...&dlc=en&lang=en

HP customer service will tell you which drives you can install, though you may be able to source it cheaper elsewhere