Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Workgroups

• Please log in to reply

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hello

I dont know if this is the correct forum to post, maybe it should be in networking. anyway.

Is it posible to set file permissions on a workgroup network and restrict everyone except for one workgroup user from accessing the folder. The thing is that workgroup user is using a differne PC in the network.

When I attempt to add the user in the permissions section, I cannot find any users on other workgroup computers, only the local comuter users are shown. in other words there are no other locations available to find users in, typing the name of the computers does not help.

I can create a local user with the same user name and password as the remote user and set premission that way, however this is messy, what happens if the user decied to change his password for example.

I this just the way it is in windows workgroups?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
From your description, more than likely a firewall is blocking the user, or the user has the wrong workgroup name and needs to add the correct one. Can you find the users computer with yours?

WhatThe

WhatThe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Yes the network is all setup and working properly, files are shared on all workgroup computers and are available all over the network.

The only firewall in use througout the network is the windows firewall.

The workgroup name is correct.

The issue is with selecting locations to add user premissions from.

If you have more than one PC?

Can you create a workgroup and then try to find the second computer in the in the "locations" section of "permissions"?

I am starting to think it aint possible.