Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

operating system

• Please log in to reply

PurpleButterfly

PurpleButterfly

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I can't believe this has happened..help me plz. :tazz:
I don't even know where to begin with this post- but here goes! Im going to start where it all started.
Back on Oct. 24th, 2005 I posted in the Malware Removal forum, needing help with the Winfixer/virtualmundo thing (called something like that) my post just got read today and someone posted what to do, when I restarted in safe mode, I could not do anything, just had a black screen, so someone else on this site told me to just to do it in normal mode, so I did. Everything was going well, (but had to much confusion going on here at home) so.. while I was finishing typing in a file path I hit the enter key before I was done entering the file path and well, something happened and I lost everything. When I tried to start computer back up some about ( windows root>\system32\hal.dll) was missing or something.
So I tried to put in a recovery disk and I think I hit the restore or something. It put my computer back to the way it was from the factory? All my icons are there from all my programs, but programs are all gone.
:)
I do have a set of HP recovery disks that I made awhile ago, but dont even know where to begin with them.
When I did put the first recovery in, I click on a folder and when it opened up it said something about unzipping it, do I have to do that with every file on the disks? and will get gave me back the things I lost, like my AVG, my pictures and so on.....?
Please let me know as soon as you can.
Thank you

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can download Tune Up 2006 Trial to another PC then install it on the one which has the miising files

http://www.tune-up.com

Create a folder in my documents

Run Tune Up undelete, choose show only files in good condition, restore them to the folder you created

If you have to use the PC with the missing files to download tune up, anything you save on there could overwrite the files you need

All the programmes can be replaced

The Pictures will need to be recovered